Bands that only play clean (no distortion basically at all), and are considered..

Page 1 of 2
to be rock bands? I'm looking for more modern rock bands than older stuff. The reason I'm asking this is cause I want to know if it's possible. What I mean is that they play songs that are played on a clean electric, but are fast-paced/have a fast beat, if you get what I mean. I'm using a Peavey Vypyr, and on basically every amp model, the distortion sounds like ass to me, and the only distortion pedal I have is a DS-1, so yeahh. Only cleans.
Any help appreciated.
Sending a dummy to my God.

Dire Straits, mostly. I mean, yeah, Money for Nothing and a couple others are distorted, but you can get a lot of great songs where the guitar is absolutely clean, maybe slightly overdriven (Sultans of Swing is a prime example, Lady Writer).

EDIT: ^
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
I can't think of any modern bands like that, but check out Chuck Berry or perhaps the Stray Cats/ Brian Setzer, they play some pretty cool clean songs.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
almost any non metal song can be pulled off clean, its really on the rhythm section (which may or may not include you) to give a song a rock feel. Its more about rhythm then tambre.
Red hot chili peppers have quite a few songs that are clean. Pretty much the whole 'By the way' album.

Also Blur have loads of nice clean songs to play. Take 'The Universal' for instance.
TRANSFORMICE

Last edited by tallicafan888 at Jul 24, 2010,
What about all those "indie" bands, like Franz Ferdinand and the Arctic Monkeys? They're all rock bands, in some way or another, and they play pretty clean. No br00tal distortion, anyway, maybe a bit of gritty overdrive.
Franz Ferdinand.

I believe they use no distortion pedals at all, but I'm not entirely sure.
Beau, oui, comme Bowie
Quote by sashki
What about all those "indie" bands, like Franz Ferdinand and the Arctic Monkeys? They're all rock bands, in some way or another, and they play pretty clean. No br00tal distortion, anyway, maybe a bit of gritty overdrive.

Yeah, I tried to get a sound like that with the Vypyr, but I can't really find anything that sounds good. Any help from anyone on this problem?

ds-1 through a vyper would sound good with humbuckers. Switch out your pups

Well, I'm using an RG-120.... which might be part of the problem. But you seriously think the DS-1 sounds good through the Vypyr? Maybe I just need to fiddle with the EQ or DS-1 settings more.. but idk.

I think Devin Townsend did a project that was all clean. Its quite interesting.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by dimarzio77
ds-1 through a vyper would sound good with humbuckers. Switch out your pups

Vypyrs are modelling amps which do not take pedals very well. So I'm afraid I have to disagree.

Swapping pickups wouldn't be much of an upgrade since he is using a cheap SS amp...

So I'm afraid I have to disagree again.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by sashki

Arctic Monkeys to an extent, but Franz Ferdinand not really. They usually use distortion and only occasionally use clean.
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

I read that Soundgarden played clean, but layered the tracks to make it heavier. You might want to listen to some of the stuff they do.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by protest000
Yeah, I tried to get a sound like that with the Vypyr, but I can't really find anything that sounds good. Any help from anyone on this problem?

This is sort of generic advice, but if the distortion sucks, then why not sell it and get a good clean amp to use with pedals? A Laney or something. They're affordable, and sound great clean.
Quote by sashki
This is sort of generic advice, but if the distortion sucks, then why not sell it and get a good clean amp to use with pedals? A Laney or something. They're affordable, and sound great clean.

Any recommendations for what to get? The kind of music my band plays is sort of Arctic Monkeys esque I guess you'd say.

TENACIOUS D.

How has this not been said yet?

Edit: Not sure if you could pull it off on an electirc, but rodrigo y gabriela might work. Just be hard to hear the bits where you slap the guitar
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Last edited by Speckled_Hen at Jul 24, 2010,
Days of the New are all-acoustic post-grunge.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
maybe not 100% always playing clean, but you could try some soft rock/pop stuff like john mayer or owen
The Smiths
Television (Marquee Moon has the best clean solo by a rock band)
Minutemen
Modest Mouse (well its like 70% clean 30% distorted)
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by protest000
Any recommendations for what to get? The kind of music my band plays is sort of Arctic Monkeys esque I guess you'd say.

Laney VC30 has really nice, full cleans. Not a lot of gain, but it takes pedals really well. Laney LC30 has a lot of its own gain. Good for mild overdrive, not so much for distortion (gets a bit fuzzy) so you're better off using a pedal for that anyway.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, while pretty expensive, is a great amp. They're very common so you should be able to find a used one. 3 channels, loads of variety.
Kustom Defender is also really good for cleans. Only one channel and not much overdrive, but the tone is amazing.

I know that they're all far more expensive than the Vypyr, but in its price range, the vypyr is probably the best you can get. Roland Cube is ok, too, I guess, but it doesn't have as many features as the vypyr.

Ask the Gear and Accessories forum for more suggestions. Sorry to have derailed the thread.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 24, 2010,
Steely dan?
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Try Algernon Cadwallader, American Football and Cap'n Jazz
Last edited by So-Cal at Jul 24, 2010,
you could learn some stuff from Opeth's album Damnation. I've heard it's almost entirely clean stuff.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
This Town Needs Guns.

The guitar parts are ridiculously hard though.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Jeff Buckley for the most part. Check out Grace, Last Goodbye and So Real.
Balls.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Days of the New are all-acoustic post-grunge.

Isnt that primusfan's new band?

On Topic: Any math rock album. Sharks keep moving, maps an atlases. Listen to them. Now.
Last edited by bogeaqyt at Jul 24, 2010,
Opeth did a totally clean album "Damnation", and they're considered pretty heavy usually.
also, if you're into j-rock The Pillows have a clean album too, but can't remember what it's called right now.
Modest Mouse is probably the prime example (for me at least). Supercar (Japanese band) did some great clean-rock stuff.
Page 1 of 2