I assume that Boss pedals are good but, what is the best Distortion between the Distortion, Super Distortion, Metal Zone, and Metal Core? I traded my Crybaby for a Metal Zone and it rulez! But Ive never tried the other ones.
Its really all up to personal preference.

It depends on what sound you want.

I personally prefer the metal core..I found the metal zone a little to treble-y for the sound I wanted.
GG&A is a few clicks underneath
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
I like the trebly sound better. Ive heard that turbos arent that good. Im trying to get a metallica megadeth sound and it seems to get good cannibal corpse sounds too! Whats a GC&A?
Last edited by Velcro Man at Jul 24, 2010,
to be honest, Boss pedals are OK at best. U can definately do better for the same price.
A Electro-Harmonix Metal muff or a Digitech Hardwire tl-2 metal distortion pedal is way better than all those Boss distortion pedal.
I refuse to use boss effects other than delay
Live Guitars and Amps:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Es-335
Fender Telecaster
Matchless Dc-30
Vox AC30H2
Pedals:
Boss Tuner
Keeley Compressor
Kelley Katana
Ibanez Ts-9
Fulltone OCD
Ernieball Volume Jr.
Boss DD-20
Why? I really dont care what I have, Id be happy to have anything. Not to mention Boss pedals are good.
Quote by GibsonnFender
I refuse to use boss effects other than delay

Well doesn't that make you a pro.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Finding a super distortion is hard most of time anyways and the feedback feature on it isn't cool enough to spend the money on it.I love the ds-1 and ds-2 I'm saving for a ds-2 at the moment cause I hate the mod keeley put on my ds-1,its like it has a noise gate inside it now ahhhh!!!!
The metal zone is supposed to be the best for metal...I don't know,cause I don't play metal but its boss so I'm sure its amazing...never owned a boss pedal I didn't instantly fall in love with...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I still havent tried it on my amp but i tried it on my cousins little like 20 watt amp on clean and it sounded great when i flipped it on. It got distorted even with the amp on clean channel, idk if that matters but it sounds cool!
FZ-3.
It has a real circuit in it...It actually sounds quite good.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by AntiG3
FZ-3.
It has a real circuit in it...It actually sounds quite good.

a REAL circuit? damn! the last pedals i got from boss had all the components thrown in the box with some tape!
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by Velcro Man
I still havent tried it on my amp but i tried it on my cousins little like 20 watt amp on clean and it sounded great when i flipped it on. It got distorted even with the amp on clean channel, idk if that matters but it sounds cool!

thats exactly whats supposed to happen. if it doesn't do that, it's broken
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by rdobson2
Finding a super distortion is hard most of time anyways and the feedback feature on it isn't cool enough to spend the money on it.I love the ds-1 and ds-2 I'm saving for a ds-2 at the moment cause I hate the mod keeley put on my ds-1,its like it has a noise gate inside it now ahhhh!!!!
The metal zone is supposed to be the best for metal...I don't know,cause I don't play metal but its boss so I'm sure its amazing...never owned a boss pedal I didn't instantly fall in love with...

the metal zone is not a good pedal, and the keeley mod to the ds-1 is supposed to make it sound a lot better. sounds like you like thin, buzzy distortions. which is fine, but it isnt what most people go for.

Quote by Velcro Man
Why? I really dont care what I have, Id be happy to have anything. Not to mention Boss pedals are good.
actually, most boss pedals these days are mediocre at best. there are a few very good pedals out right now (mostly the delays) and the rest are ok. some of the modulation pedals are actually pretty bad, especially when compared to older stuff boss put out. they do have some good overdrives and distortions, but you can often do better looking elsewhere. what kind of tone are you looking for?
well if it's the trebly 80s tone your looking for, then the metal zone is the best choice out of boss's high gain pedals. both the metal core (ML-2) and the mega distortion (MD-2) are more focused on the low end, aiming to the metal sounds of the 90s and 2000s.

sorry but i've never tried a ds-2.
Boss pedals are great for people who don't mind busting out the soldering iron. I had a Metal Zone that'd been spruced up with Monte Allums' basic MT-2 mod. Running that pedal along side a stock unit was shocking. The Allums mod took a tonally retarded pedal and made it sound very good.

Anyways, Boss pedals, mod them.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by jof1029
the metal zone is not a good pedal, and the keeley mod to the ds-1 is supposed to make it sound a lot better. sounds like you like thin, buzzy distortions. which is fine, but it isnt what most people go for.
?

Not at all bro I like bassy thick almost fuzz like distortion...the keeley mod made it thinner and took away a lot of the hugeness...but I'll get another ds-2 soon I've just been lazy lately just turning my highs down a little on my amp and setting my tone on the pedal at like 8oclock

The hyper fuzz is pretty cool,I've never owned one but I've played one through my setup...there expensive though lol

You can buy kits from various modders (Robert Keely, Monte Allums, Brian Wampler, etc.) which generally consist of upgraded resistors, capacitors, and op-amp chips; among other things.

Boss pedals are pretty easy to work with so long as you've got some soldering experience and clear instructions.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I messed up a super overdrive trying to mod it hahaha...and I took 3 years of elctronics tech in high school lol

I have no experience or anything so Ill just be fine with this! I sure as hell couldnt solder something.
I was wondering, if I could trade, should I trade for a Metal Core pedal cuz I do kinda like its sound but i like them both...
Boss pedals are good, solid reliable pedals, they just give you what you need, you should have to make your sound anyways not your pedals. Metal cores and HM-2's are amazing, Metal Zones are good you just gotta get your EQ done right. Does anyone know if they still make HM-2's? I saw one in my local music shop awhile ago for really cheap, just wondering if I'll ever see one again lol. Wound up buying a PW-2 Power Driver instead, which is an awesome boost.