So I was looking to get an acoustic and had to Seagull recommended to me here, but I have another friend who swears by the Big Baby and says it sounds like guitars in the 4 digit range. Can I get some opinions/views on which would be better? Thanks!
I would say that while the Big Baby sounds very good for it's price, it would not compare to a guitar over $1000. You get what you pay for. The Big Baby is a load of fun because of it's small size, but it lacks a lot of richness and presence that a larger guitar would have.

The Seagull would be my pick, personally. It's got a nice balance to the tone.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
you've already heard my opinion - the big baby is nice, but cannot compare to the seagull s6. i've never met anyone who felt differently, including the sales guys at our local gc's.
I won't knock the Big Baby, but if I were making this decision, I'd almost certainly go with the Seagull. Probably an S6 Original, although plenty of folks like the Entourage just fine.

I'll add that I'd probably either buy the Seagull used, or wait a month for a presumably big Labor Day sale. But I'm a cheapskate.
--
Michael
+1 for Seagull. I have two of them. Played Big Baby Taylor and I wasn't impressed, sounds good when string are new, once the strings are worn in it sounds tinny and dull. Play them both or take a good friend into store with you and have him play it for you, if that is not an option have the salesperson play them while you are listening.
Last edited by swsman at Jul 28, 2010,
I have the big baby, it plays really well but it's super bright. It has a bolt on neck, something frowned upon by acoustic makers, this was done so you can remove the neck for traveling (I put mine in my suitcase once to get it here)
all taylors have bolt on necks, including those costing thouands of dollars and with warm tones. there are other brands of guitars with bolt on necks that aren't bright at all, and some of the most famous luthiers in the world create guitars with bolt on necks. the big baby is simply braced to have that tone.

if you tried warmer strings on it - say martin silk and steels - your guitar would sound warmer.

Quote by Tempoe
I have the big baby, it plays really well but it's super bright. It has a bolt on neck, something frowned upon by acoustic makers, this was done so you can remove the neck for traveling (I put mine in my suitcase once to get it here)