I'm sixteen and want to start buying stuff that will slowly turn into a studio, I record guitar with my POD 2.0 using Reaper and program beats and remixes using FL studio like those kids on youtube we all despise.

Basically in a few years I want to be able to produce, so if a singer came in, I could record them and do all the music. If a guitarist came in, I could record them and produce it, etc. So I need some advice on what I should start buying and practicing with.

I think I need...

Midi controller/a motif
Studio monitors
An Audio interface
Mics

What about mixers? At the moment I just mix in on the pc...

Any advice?
With today's modern music, more and more producers and engineers are sticking to ITB mixing, mastering etc etc. With the tech that plugins are offering, its just simply not worth the cost associated to get into outboard gear, since you can get very very close to the same quality with the newer plugins.

By the time all is said and done, you will be in a bare minimum of $10,000 with everything you want, plus room treatment.

Each one of the things you listed is basically an entire thread by itself.

You will quickly learn there is no "best" of anything really. There are "standards" but really that just means that a lot of people use that item and you may not necessarily like it at all.

For example:

I DESPISE Yamaha NS-10s. They give me a headache very quickly and sound like complete ass. However I will reference a mix on them just to check my mid range.

They are "industry standard" but I will never own a pair.

It's things like this that you have to be careful of.

Don't just buy something because someone says to. Try things out, see what you like the most, and then go from there.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Jul 24, 2010,
Quote by Brendan.Clace
With today's modern music, more and more producers and engineers are sticking to ITB mixing, mastering etc etc. With the tech that plugins are offering, its just simply not worth the cost associated to get into outboard gear, since you can get very very close to the same quality with the newer plugins.

By the time all is said and done, you will be in a bare minimum of $10,000 with everything you want, plus room treatment.

Each one of the things you listed is basically an entire thread by itself.

You will quickly learn there is no "best" of anything really. There are "standards" but really that just means that a lot of people use that item and you may not necessarily like it at all.

For example:

I DESPISE Yamaha NS-10s. They give me a headache very quickly and sound like complete ass. However I will reference a mix on them just to check my mid range.

They are "industry standard" but I will never own a pair.

It's things like this that you have to be careful of.

Don't just buy something because someone says to. Try things out, see what you like the most, and then go from there.

I understand, although I do think it's best to start with 'industry standard' and whats popular first, and then change if you think somethings better.

I'm downloading the ableton live demo at the moment, to see if I like that, and then I can get it for £175 because of student discount. I can't find demo's for other DAWs though so I have nothing to compare it to...

Also i'm looking at KRK RP5's and an M audio OXYGEN as a midi controller.

What is the advantage of a motif? just the sounds and eq?