http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2262/do-the-wrongfully-imprisoned-get-compensation
Wall of Text coming copy and pasted from the link with a lot more info in said link

Quote by From link
So how do exonerees get compensated? The sad news is most probably don't. According to the Innocence Project's Web site, 22 states currently have statutes under which innocent convicts are ensured some restitution: Alabama, California, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin, plus the District of Columbia. In other words, less than half the states offer any form of guaranteed redress for the wrongly convicted......

Some states, like Connecticut, enact case-specific statutes when they want to compensate an exoneree. Florida did this for Wilton Dedge in 2005 [PDF]. Dedge served 22 years of a life sentence for a rape all now concede he didn't commit. To get relief, however, he first had to get himself exonerated. To do that, he had to convince judges to make new law and fight a justice system seemingly sworn to keep him in jail. After he won access to DNA testing, which then proved that pubic hair from the crime scene wasn't his, the state argued that Dedge had obtained his DNA evidence too early – i.e., since he'd done so before Florida subsequently passed a law to govern the granting of such access, he couldn't use the evidence to get back into court. Prosecutors continued to oppose Dedge's motions on sundry procedural grounds for three years, and, according to the Innocence Project site, went so far as to admit in court that they would oppose Dedge's release "even if they knew that he was absolutely innocent." Nice group of people.

Dedge's experience isn't unique; some states seem oddly reluctant to give exonerees anything but the finger. In the documentary After Innocence (2005), police detective Scott Hornoff, who served six and a half years of a life sentence for murder in Rhode Island before the actual killer confessed, recalls: "There was no apology from the judge, prosecutor, or attorney general. Actually, I think they were upset at me for being innocent."

This must suck more then anything in the world.
Reminds me of that Eddie Murphy/Martin Lawrence film "Life" where two innocent men serve their entire life in prison.
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

That game had the best synthesis system ever.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
Damn that sucks.
I guess I'm lucky that I live in Illinois though.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Wrongfully convicted people shouldn't be compensated, they just got to spend a load of time with free rent and food out of the taxpayer's ample pantaloon pockets. They should be fucking paying me.
Last edited by webbtje at Jul 24, 2010,
Quote by webbtje
Wrongfully convicted people shouldn't be compensated, they just got to spend a load of time with free rent and food out of the taxpayer's ample pantaloon pockets. They should be fucking paying me.

What about buttrape?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by webbtje

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by webbtje
Seriously?
I don't think that exhonerees should get a cash settlement, they should get a basket with lotions and fruit, with a card that says "sorry!" with a little doggy on it.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by webbtje

You're right. Jail sounds awesome.
you're wrong though, being Bubba's date every night doesn't sound like fun to me no matter how much free food they give you

Quote by BurningStarlV
You're right. Jail sounds awesome.
you're wrong though, being Bubba's date every night doesn't sound like fun to me no matter how much free food they give you

iseewatudidthar

anyway, thats gotta suck. CA ftw
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I don't think that exhonerees should get a cash settlement, they should get a basket with lotions and fruit, with a card that says "sorry!" with a little doggy on it.

XD sigged.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by sock_demon

*Shredding* BREAKER BREAKER, IVE GOT A DEAD HOOKER, OVER*Shredding*
Quote by webbtje

You forgot about the free buttsecks. How the hell could you forget about all the free buttsecks?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by webbtje

Because prison sounds like such a wonderful place to stay. I hope your trolling.

OT: That sucks. Guess I'm just glad I live in Missouri.
Quote by webbtje

In some countries prisoners have pretty good living standards that can not really be called punishement, however, this article is about the USA.
Living in the UK

*waits for post showing how innocent people from the UK get ****ed over despite laws in place*
You guys do know the compensations in the states listed are laughable right?

$5000 a year topped off at $25,000? Phucking Bullshit
which is less then the punitive damage....
Read the link.
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

That game had the best synthesis system ever.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
Last edited by Thepredster at Jul 24, 2010,
All the more reason to execute the fuckers. How dare they prove their innocence!!!! Pretentious fucks.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
All the more reason to execute the fuckers. How dare they prove their innocence!!!! Pretentious fucks.

you'd make a great prison warden
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by :Vicious--
you'd make a great prison warden

If you like empty prisons, yes I would.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
The appeal system needs to be overhauled to be honest, people should be given the chance to try and prove their innocence in a speedier fashion. It is inevitable that there are going to be wrongful convictions with out current systems, the only thing we can do is make it easier and more efficient for innocent people to prove their innocence.

In terms of compensation, the major overturned wrongful convictions that I can remember had large payouts. I don't see how a price can be put on people losing 20 years of their life though. I'm on the fence about large payouts, it has its positives but also negatives if we overhaul our appeal system.
Quote by From Link
So how do exonerees get compensated? The sad news is most probably don't. According to the Innocence Project's Web site, 22 states currently have statutes under which innocent convicts are ensured some restitution: Alabama, California, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin, plus the District of Columbia. In other words, less than half the states offer any form of guaranteed redress for the wrongly convicted. U.S. jurist Edwin Borchard was arguing for laws like this back in 1913 – he believed that principles of eminent domain required states to provide such compensation, and pointed out that most European countries already did so.

Well it depends on how you define most. Based on the population estimates from 2009, the cumulative population of those states is 184,496,108, while the population of the US was 307,006,550. If you do the math, it turns out that 60.1% of Americans do receive compensation for being wrongfully convicted. In terms of gross numbers, the link is wrong as the majority of Americans are covered.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
The appeal system needs to be overhauled to be honest, people should be given the chance to try and prove their innocence in a speedier fashion. It is inevitable that there are going to be wrongful convictions with out current systems, the only thing we can do is make it easier and more efficient for innocent people to prove their innocence.

In terms of compensation, the major overturned wrongful convictions that I can remember had large payouts. I don't see how a price can be put on people losing 20 years of their life though. I'm on the fence about large payouts, it has its positives but also negatives if we overhaul our appeal system.

The biggest problem with the US justice system is elected prosecutors. Remove the politics from the justice system.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi