Hey guys, Im looking for an upgrade. I play mostly soft rock, little bit of blues and some acoustic type stuff. Basically a rhcp type of feel. Any experience with amps that would fit this description. Also I will be playing it in a band setting often, and throuhg a PA from time to time if that matters. Thanks.
I believe that would be a Vox AC-style amp. Though I'm not too knowledgeable about non-metal amps lol
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by Eskil Rask
I believe that would be a Vox AC-style amp. Though I'm not too knowledgeable about non-metal amps lol

I thought the same thing!
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Metalcore Jero
A Marshall is probably the best fit you could find for something like that or even a Vox

How is a Marshall, especially at the price range, fit his needs?

First of all... are you gigging? Do you need amp gain at bedroom volumes?

For that price I would try to find a used Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, it has a great clean and light gain sound, but now master volume. Other good fender options include the Hod Rod Deluxe and the Blues Junior

The vox ac 15 or ac 30 would work nicely as well.

Perhaps if these are too expensive, look at a peavey classic 30 and the Bugera V series.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Last edited by Leeav at Jul 24, 2010,
You know 750$ is quite a lot, 400 isn't too shabby either.. Get a Fender in the Hot Rod series - I prefer Deluxe.
About how much would a Laney VC15 or VC30 go for over there?
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by yamakid17
Are the Fender hot rod amps all tube, or are they combo amps?

A combo amp can be 'all tube'.

All tube means that it has a tube power and pre section.

Anyway, yes, they are all tube amps, and they have good cleans but poor overdrive.

I'd look into the Bugera V series, particularly the V55.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by yamakid17
Are the Fender hot rod amps all tube, or are they combo amps?

You are getting mixed up.

They are full tube amps.

They are combo amps.

A combo amp is an amp that includes a speaker with you, it has nothing to do with having tubes or not.

The word you were looking for is hybrid.

They are not hybrid amps, they are all tube.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
I was just playing an AC15 last night at GC. God it was beautiful.

You might want to get a pedal for overdrive/distortion tones depending on your needs and opinion of vox overdrive.
I have a huge fear if rays.
My mistake, I was confusing hybrid and combo. But anyways, I was listening to some demos of the hot rod deluxe and like it a lot. I am planning on testing some out tomorrow, but just out of curiosity would this amp be plenty for playing shows at bars and medium sized venues?
Quote by yamakid17
Vox AC 30 vs fender hot rod deluxe. Which would you pick and why?

AC30 probably has better overdrive
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Wow. A TON of misinformation in this thread.

You want a British flavored amp. Froosh uses Marshalls, not Voxes. That means you want something with *preferably* EL34s. Definitely something Brit voiced.

I'm saying it once and for all. The Hot Rod is a piece of absolute shit, unless all you want is cleans. The OD channel is terrible. It'll get you nowhere near RHCP.

A Vox would get you close, but to me it's still too smooth for RHCP. You need something punchy.

If I were you, you can get a great used amp for 750. See if you can find a JCM800 combo. That would fit the bill almost perfectly. Or a JCM900 combo. Not as good as the 800, but it'll be closer than a Vox.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Used AC-30. HRD is good but i prefer the drive of the AC series and you don't sacrifice much in the clean department.