Hey everyone,

I own a Peavey Valveking, and I'm looking to upgrade the tone a bit, using an overdrive on the lead channel, to tighten the sound up, which I gather is known as "boosting" your amp.

I also gather that you do this by dropping the gain on the pedal and boosting the volume, which pushes the preamp tubes, with the pedal in between the amp and guitar.

The problem is, when I tried this with my Marshall Jackhammer on the OD mode, and it sounded awful, is this just the pedal, I'm not doing it right, or is it a sound thats just not for me?

Could anyone point me in the right direction, as regarding this topic?

Also, if anyone could help me with finding a suitable overdrive pedal, if thats the case.

Thanking you in advance,

Bryn

xxx
Well, I hate distortion and overdrive pedals full stop. The ibanez tube king on the other hand doesn't seem that bad. You could try an ibanez tube screamer maybe? Also there's an overdrive ibanez tube king. Can't quite remember what it's called though.
Quote by zakarai
Well, I hate distortion and overdrive pedals full stop. The ibanez tube king on the other hand doesn't seem that bad. You could try an ibanez tube screamer maybe? Also there's an overdrive ibanez tube king. Can't quite remember what it's called though.

Just so you know, Im only planning to use it as a boost, not instead of my gain channel, which I actually like, now I have my MXR 10 band EQ.

I've looked into the Ibanez Tubescreamer and Maxon, to give some more information, and I've also heard that the Digitech Bad Monkey is good for the price.

Could anyone clarify that I'm actually doing it right, also, with the gain dropped to 0 and the volume on 10, in between the amp and guitar? Or is there anything else I need to do?
Ok, a lot of people use the Ibanez TS9 for boosting I think. This can really bring out the sound of tubes. Try youtubing the pedal. I'm not much of a digi-tech fan but some people are and like some of their pedals.
The Bad Monkey is a Tubescreamer clone with a bass and treble knob for more precise control.

Yes, you're doing it right; level full, tone middle, gain 0.

What do you mean by 'awful', though? Maybe you're giving it too much boost? Try playing with it some.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I also gather that you do this by dropping the gain on the pedal and boosting the volume, which pushes the preamp tubes, with the pedal in between the amp and guitar.

Correct. Make sure that you’re not pushing things too hard—lower the gain on the amp and the volume on the guitar, and start with the volume on the pedal at zero and then start rolling it up. But it could also be that this just is not a good pedal to use as a clean boost, which is why Marshall is selling it as a distortion and not an overdrive.
The Jackhammer I had didn't work so well as a boost.

Just as cheap ODs to try out: Ibanez TS7 (you can mod it to TS808 specs easily, which is great), Digitech Bad Monkey, BBE Green Screamer, Boss SD-1, MXR GT-OD (discontinued; you can only get it used).
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
You are definitely doing it right. I never use my distortion channel without my trusty Bad Monkey. Volume on 10, tone controls about 5 and gain at 0. In my opinion you can't go wrong for the price.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by no.mop
Nope, that's not what he's looking for.

If he's planning on using it to boost his signal to drive his tubes harder, then yes, a clean boost will work. Lots of people use an OD like a tubescreamer to push the amp, others use a clean boost. Either one can boost your signal.