How does the recording proccess work? Do you plug your guitar into some input on the computer or something?
Last edited by IbanezKorn at Jul 24, 2010,
There's only 1 c in process btw...

It depends, most people use a microphone and record onto a program like Audacity or Reaper.

Others use Line 6 pod-type things that record into USB ports.

There are other ways, but those two are the most basic.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Don't use Audacity. Short version is that it sucks.

Long version is that it uses destructive editing (bad), so-so recording quality (bad), and has no VST support (which puts it in the category of utter shit).

Use Reaper at least (it's free to try, and the demo never expires or loses functionality).

If you know nothing about recording, I recommend getting a Line 6 interface because it is bundled with software and tutorials. If you're doing vocals and guitar, a UX1 will run $150, and is a great value.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Dream Floyd
There's only 1 c in process btw...

That was a typo I didn't bother fixing. Oh well.

It depends, most people use a microphone and record onto a program like Audacity or Reaper.

Others use Line 6 pod-type things that record into USB ports.

There are other ways, but those two are the most basic.

I'm just thinking about recording demos and what not so I'd rather use a free download type thing like Reaper, so how would you plug the mic into the computer?
Last edited by IbanezKorn at Jul 24, 2010,
Quote by jld8111
Well, for home recording, a small audio interface and a recording program should do. I recommend Audacity, which you can download here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

And an interface such as this one: http://www.zzounds.com/item--DGDMB2

Okay, if you're using Audacity with an Mbox which includes Pro Tools LE, you are missing out on 95% of the reason to buy an Mbox.

Basically, buy an interface and have fun.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
You can use a rockband mic, plug it into your computer, run audacity, then hit the record button.
Well, It is best to get a guitar interface.
1. because your quality is going to sound great
2. you wont blow your mic port if your plug in directly.

The recording program, Reaper i hear is pretty good. It beats Audacity by a long shot.
But I'm Using CuBase. So. . .
get reaper
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Quote by iRaiseTheDead
You can use a rockband mic, plug it into your computer, run audacity, then hit the record button.

Yeah, and you could drink gasoline but that doesn't mean that its going to be good
Quote by lockwolf
Yeah, and you could drink gasoline but that doesn't mean that its going to be good

trolling much?
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Quote by iRaiseTheDead

Will that work with Reaper too? Because I hear that one is really good.
Quote by kcorkcar
trolling much?

yeah, I always come across in a trollish manner when it comes to my thoughts on dumb ideas.
Quote by lockwolf
yeah, I always come across in a trollish manner when it comes to my thoughts on dumb ideas.

lol
If people would use the search bar, I think half of UG's threads would not be here

Quote by kcorkcar
lol
If people would use the search bar, I think half of UG's threads would not be here

Thats why some of us have grown bitter...

The same damn questions over and over - some the same day, and so much ignorance in some of the answers... Answers like "You don't need an interface - just plug your Ax into your MIC IN", or "Audacity is a great choice for a DAW".
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by lockwolf

It was a suggestion. I never said it was the World's greatest idea.
but hey it works. its not like I"m giving imformation thats gonna go the complete opposite direction.