It's a Peavey classic 100w. There was a power cut, and it won't turn on anymore. I've replaced the fuses in the plug, and the head itself. There's no red light, nothing.

I'm honestly sorry for the vagueness of the question, but there's no harm in asking.
Did the power come back on while the amp was still 'on'?

Me and a friend were jamming when the power went out but we tuned the power switches to off right away. Haven't noticed any problems. Point I'm trying to make is if the power suddenly came back on while the amp was still turned on there might have been a lot of power going into it suddenly.
I have a huge fear if rays.
You've probably already checked this, but just making sure - Have you looked to make sure you didn't trip any breakers when the power went out? Are you sure there is power on that wall socket?

If you have checked all of the above, and you have checked the fuses, do you have a muti-meter, and are you comfortable working around high voltages?
Quote by ChrisBW
Did the power come back on while the amp was still 'on'?

Me and a friend were jamming when the power went out but we tuned the power switches to off right away. Haven't noticed any problems. Point I'm trying to make is if the power suddenly came back on while the amp was still turned on there might have been a lot of power going into it suddenly.

Shit, you've got a point there. I can't even remember now tbh.

And ^^if it was the tubes, surely it'd turn on? And the faulty tube would glow a different colour?
Last edited by UraniYum at Jul 24, 2010,
Quote by Matt420740
You've probably already checked this, but just making sure - Have you looked to make sure you didn't trip any breakers when the power went out? Are you sure there is power on that wall socket?

If you have checked all of the above, and you have checked the fuses, do you have a muti-meter, and are you comfortable working around high voltages?

It's not the plug socket, I've tried other electrical gear through it. And I've tried the head through other sockets.

I don't have a multimeter, how would that help? I know basic rewiring, I'm competent enough, I reckon. But everyones competent until they make a mistake ain't they?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it the power light would at least turn on... and checking the wall socket is a good idea as well.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by UraniYum

I don't have a multimeter, how would that help? I know basic rewiring, I'm competent enough, I reckon. But everyones competent until they make a mistake ain't they?

A multi-meter would help because you could open up the amp, and start checking from the AC plug, and continue through the amp to see where exactly you are losing power. However I don't recommend anyone poking around in a guitar amp unless you know a bit about electronics, and are comfortable working around voltages high enough to kill you.

If you know you have power going to the amp, and your fuses are good, then I recommend taking it to a tech. He should be able to check it out and give you an estimate on getting it fixed.
Quote by Matt420740
A multi-meter would help because you could open up the amp, and start checking from the AC plug, and continue through the amp to see where exactly you are losing power. However I don't recommend anyone poking around in a guitar amp unless you know a bit about electronics, and are comfortable working around voltages high enough to kill you.

If you know you have power going to the amp, and your fuses are good, then I recommend taking it to a tech. He should be able to check it out and give you an estimate on getting it fixed.

True, I might give Peavey customer support a ring first though. They've always been unbelievably helpful, considering I didn't buy my amp directly from them. I thought it might be something simple, worth a go anyway.