Well yeah... title says all.

I can get good, if not almost awesome clean and distorted rhythm tones, but not lead... I'm not sure if this goes to the gear and accesories forums or here, but it's for recording purposes, and I'm pretty sure people in here have more knowledge in audio "modulators" and stuff.

I've been using podfarm btw. I'm about to try stuff in the VST thread, but from what I've read it's mostly for rhythm tones again, I'm not sure though.

I don't really see how I can get help here but I'll still try...
Thanks in advance!
I find it hard to get a good lead tone with the default pod farm amps, they're too fizzy and undefined, so I bought the metal shop pack and man is it good. It'll literally kick your ass and kill your drummer. That said, if you can't afford metal shop for some reason, I got some decent lead tones by using dual tones, one chain with the dual treadplate and the JCM800 in the other, with a bit more volume on the treadplate. Add a screamer in front of both, some delay and medium hall reverb after and you should be able to dial in some passable lead tones.
Last edited by Ascendant at Jul 24, 2010,
If it's the same as mine, you can hold in the button of the channel on whitch you're playing, and roll the drive-thingy over the middle, that'll give you a driveboost. Put some more mid on aswell, always makes the lead stand out.
The Crunch channel's fine, and don't most of the line 6 have that "insane" channel or something? Sounds pretty lead to me..
Quote by cheesecakes4
If it's the same as mine, you can hold in the button of the channel on whitch you're playing, and roll the drive-thingy over the middle, that'll give you a driveboost. Put some more mid on aswell, always makes the lead stand out.
The Crunch channel's fine, and don't most of the line 6 have that "insane" channel or something? Sounds pretty lead to me..

Dude, he's using pod farm, not a Line 6 spider. Õ.o Also the insane amp model in pod farm is balls, as in, it sucks hairy balls.
the JCM 800 model with a decent amount of reverb and a tube screamer should give you passable lead sounds, but you'll have to muck about with the settings till you get something you like
Quote by Ascendant
I find it hard to get a good lead tone with the default pod farm amps, they're too fizzy and undefined, so I bought the metal shop pack and man is it good. It'll literally kick your ass and kill your drummer. That said, if you can't afford metal shop for some reason, I got some decent lead tones by using dual tones, one chain with the dual treadplate and the JCM800 in the other, with a bit more volume on the treadplate. Add a screamer in front of both, some delay and medium hall reverb after and you should be able to dial in some passable lead tones.

Sounds good, I'll try that.

And if everything fails, I'll go with the metal shop pack. Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it

Btw, do you use any specific settings with the 4 band EQ?
Last edited by kevC4 at Jul 24, 2010,
Quote by kevC4
Sounds good, I'll try that.

And if everything fails, I'll go with the metal shop pack. Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it

Btw, do you use any specific settings with the 4 band EQ?

Hey no problem.

No, I really do my best to stay away from using the EQ, I find it much more comfortable to just get a good tone without having to mess around with it, much easier to use other amps then as well in the same chain without messing with the EQ again since every amp needs to be treated differently. Most of the time if I'm not quite satisfied, changing around the cabs and mics usually does the trick.
Last edited by Ascendant at Jul 24, 2010,
I see, yeah I kinda noticed that too. Btw, I don't have the JCM 800...

I'll try some other amps and stuff
Quote by kevC4
I see, yeah I kinda noticed that too. Btw, I don't have the JCM 800...

I'll try some other amps and stuff

It's the Brit J-800.
Oh okie, thanks.

This tone is actually decent for high notes, but it's really unpleasant for low stuff. Maybe it's my guitar too, I don't know really. But still very good for high notes stuff.

Eh, I might be getting that metal shop thingy by the end of the week. Thanks again for helping!

edit: I just found a tone I made a while ago and maybe if you want to check it out to see if it's any good, I can send you it
Sure thing, I guess you can pm it to me or post it in this thread. I'm not sure what your guitar sounds like, perhaps post a quick sample of your tone?
Well, I'm still tweaking stuff, but tomorrow I probably will.

I also think that I need new pickups, my tone always sounds very fuzzy on very low notes (low e, a and d). I'm not sure though since it always sounds good on higher stuff.
Perhaps your pickups are just set up wrong? Could be sitting too low on the bass side, what pickups do you have? If you have some really tame passive in the neck and you're using that for leads, then that is most likely your problem. Could also be string buzz, depending on your definition of fuzzy (ie your neck and bridge are set up wrong).
Last edited by Ascendant at Jul 25, 2010,
Yeah I might be needing new pickups... Especially for my neck one.

I have an ibanez sz520qm with a seymour duncan JB on bridge and a custom seymour duncan that was made for this guitar on neck. Not bad, but I think it's too bassy and not clear enough. The pickup heights should be ok, I have to check soon to be sure though, and my action is ok.

What I meant by fuzzy is like your "fizzy", and it's still somewhat present on higher notes. Might be the crappy distortion, I hope the metal shop pack can settle this

Also, sorry if I couldn't reply sooner, I've been working a lot this week end, but I'll have some free time this week.
Last edited by kevC4 at Jul 25, 2010,
Fair enough, try getting some samples and presets up.

And no the metal shop pack won't disappoint if you learn a few tricks about tweaking pod farm.