Ever since i got my Gibson Les Paul i have been crazy about modding it, its just in my personality. I've been thinking about putting a Kahler on my Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe for all my Dive Bombing needs since i got the money racked up. I chose Kahler because i just love the system and how i works from my experience with Kahlers and Floyds. To me i like the feel of the kahler better than the floyd but thats just my opinion. I don't like the stetsbar either. Will the Kahler need routing or will it just sit on existing hardware?

Note: My guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe ($1399)
Last edited by SilverRock113 at Jul 24, 2010,
the kahler will need a locking nut which needs routing. If you want no routing just go for a Stetsbar. Pricey but it does the job
What is thall? THALL
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Is it just me or does this question come up every day at least twice?

TS: It's more expensive to route one and install it , just buy a guitar w/ a trem already

Les Paul Axcess has one so do many variants of the ESP LTD EC
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
if you want a trem and do not want to do any work with the body, look at a schaller trem for les pauls
Wow. I just looked up pics of that and god I ain't seen a Les Paul with a locking bridge. I've never really heard of Kalher bridges my self but the original floyd or Zero trem (ibanez) are really good iv'e heard. Don't know if you can fit one of those on a Les Paul.
Quote by zakarai
Wow. I just looked up pics of that and god I ain't seen a Les Paul with a locking bridge. I've never really heard of Kalher bridges my self but the original floyd or Zero trem (ibanez) are really good iv'e heard. Don't know if you can fit one of those on a Les Paul.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Les-Paul-Axcess-Standard-Electric-Guitar-?sku=531000

not looking hard enough
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
- To use the Kahler bridge, the body does need to be routed.
- Whoever suggested the Stetsbar, don't. That is the worst bit of kit imaginable and is one of the very few purchases I have ever truly regretted. Bugger-all range, goes out of tune at the slightest nudge, sucks sustain worse than a Floyd, scratches the surface of the guitar to buggery, plain flew out of the guitar at high speed ones and snaps E trings on a daily basis.
- The LP Axcess is a terrible guitar, don't touch them. In fact even the Epiphone and Kramer versions are superior instruments. If you really want a LP shape with a vibrato though, look at ESP.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
- To use the Kahler bridge, the body does need to be routed.
- Whoever suggested the Stetsbar, don't. That is the worst bit of kit imaginable and is one of the very few purchases I have ever truly regretted. Bugger-all range, goes out of tune at the slightest nudge, sucks sustain worse than a Floyd, scratches the surface of the guitar to buggery, plain flew out of the guitar at high speed ones and snaps E trings on a daily basis.
- The LP Axcess is a terrible guitar, don't touch them. In fact even the Epiphone and Kramer versions are superior instruments. If you really want a LP shape with a vibrato though, look at ESP.

So your saying a floyd is bad for sustain or bad all together cause i'm kinda planning on getting a guitar with an original floyd :P
Floyds don't sustain well, even with a large sustain block. They are designed for vibrato, not for holding a note straight for a long time. Whether this is good or bad depends on your needs. If you really need to dive and raise the bridge a lot then a Floyd is your only option and you'll just have to leave with no more than average sustain. If you're only really going to use it for light vibrato then at least get a non-recessed Floyd, or better yet go for a Strat-style vibrato or Bigsby. If sustain is important to you and you don't actually use the vibrato that much then scrap it and stick to fixed bridges.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Then you need to get the guitar routed, which I would still advise against. Once it's done you can't undo it, it will cost quite a lot and of course it utterly ruins the value of the guitar if you ever decide to sell it.
as mentioned you have to do some routing for a kahler. here's another option although it does involve getting another guitar (but it is what you want). in the late 80s gibson made the LP Studio Standard. the guitar has binding like a regular standard but had the (then) studio dot neck. as an option you could get a factory installed kahlr trem. these were only made for a couple of years but since the trem is factory you don't lose value. you could sell your current guitar and then put the money toward one of these.

i had one for a while and it's a pretty good guitar.
Quote by SilverRock113
Wow
I am not looking for a new guitar!!!!

People are suggesting new guitars because it'll be bugger all expensive to get it routed and installed. They're suggesting new guitars because you kill the value of your 1400 guitar and spend a bunch of money so it's like compounding losses. Combine the value it loses with the costs of getting it done and a new guitar would be a better use of funds (at least in theory).

Beyond that, your question was answered, yes, routing will be required.
Quote by Wondergaurd
The Strat/Tele debate is alot like picking a starter in Pokemon, each is great at something and can cover other fields well, it's just what they do good and great that makes 'em different
If you route the guitar and put in a Kahler it'll be worth about $500 afterward man, just get an ESP Eclipse with a Floyd
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
I'll go ahead and sum up what everyone's saying since nobody understands the word "Summarize" or "Question" or "Answer" properly.

Will it need routing? - Yes.

This brings up other questions.

Will it work? - Yes.

Will it depreciate the value of your guitar? - Yes.

Should you go for a stetsbar? - Hell no.

Are there other bridges you may be able to make use of? - Yes. You have options.

Now I've got a few questions for you. You said you wanted to mod it.

Do you absolutely have to modify the bridge?

Have you ever OWNED a guitar with a tremolo? (I ask because I played trems before but never owned one, wanted one so bad, got one, and barely ever played it. Hated it. Had a RR3 with an lfr. Absolutely hated it.)

Have you thought about modifying the pickups or the neck? (They make carbon truss rods that will give your guitar added stability and sustain.)

Have you thought about aesthetic upgrades? (Been wanting to swap out all my hardware with gold hardware on my LP for a very long time. Just never had the money.)

Have you considered changing your tuners with locking tuners?

Lastly, what everyone else was getting at.

Have you considered leaving your $1400 guitar at its' current value, and purchasing a separate cheaper guitar to modify instead, one with a tremolo already routed that you can swap out with a better one, as well as perform a pickup swap and completely customize?
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
If you're not going to be doing huuuge dives and shit, I would just throw a good Bigsby on there, get a brass nut, use some nut lube, get locking tuners, and file the nut so the actual slot the strings go through is much bigger than the string. I guess that's what Van Halen did before he got a floyd rose, and it sounds like it worked well... Plus all modifications are pretty much totally reversible.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by Ishiga
I'll go ahead and sum up what everyone's saying since nobody understands the word "Summarize" or "Question" or "Answer" properly.
Nobody was actually complaining about that. I would also like to point out the irony that your summerisation is actually the longest post in this thread.