Hey guys. My amp is giving this annoying humming sound when it is on. When I touch the input jack plate it stops. Can someone tell me what the problem is?
No Signature?
Join The Club...
This is one of the most common things an amp does. Usually only occurs when the amp gain or volume is too high. If its an amp under 15W, this will happen. You can use a compressor pedal to prevent this hum: Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor works. When you have an high full gain and full volume, then you will get huge hum and squelling noises which is pretty damn annoying. You will also notice if you put your pickups close to your amp or other electrical equipment, the hum/noise will increase. Hum can also occur to huge watted amps as well. So it's not just specific amps. (also the noise suppressor or any other suppressor is called a "noise gate". Look it up.)
Last edited by zakarai at Jul 24, 2010,
I forgot to say that the humming sound happens when my guitar is plugged to it. Does that change anything?
No Signature?
Join The Club...
Quote by ZamoraZ
I forgot to say that the humming sound happens when my guitar is plugged to it. Does that change anything?

if it's only when the guitar is plugged in it sounds like the guitars grounding which is usually a loose wire
Can I fix it myself or should I take it somewhere?
No Signature?
Join The Club...
it`s a 5 minute fix, learn to solder and do it yourself, it`s not worth paying a tech for a simple fix that he`ll charge you £20 for.