Hey guys, recently I've been kind of skiddish about trying to incorporate my influences into my playing. Because when I try to do so, I tend to let the person completely change my style. I'm into alot of different music, and would, like to let it all influence my style, but I don't know how. How do you incorporate ALL your influences without one of two of them completely dominate the others? Thanks.
Slappa tha bass
take pieces here and there?

i love neo classical so alot of my stuff has Jason Becker inspired sweeps, but I also love tapping ala van halen...so usually after a sweeping passage I just throw in a few tapped notes or go into a tapping thing.
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by diofan88
take pieces here and there?

i love neo classical so alot of my stuff has Jason Becker inspired sweeps, but I also love tapping ala van halen...so usually after a sweeping passage I just throw in a few tapped notes or go into a tapping thing.

Yeah, that's a pretty good idea. It'll just be hard to try to incorporate Jeff Beck, Paul Gilbert, and Dave Mustaine into one piece lol.
Slappa tha bass
For me, most of it is subconscience. After the first year and a half of my playing, I realised a lot of the riffs I wrote sounded similarly to Buckethead's rhythm tracks. I didn't have any idea I was writing like him, it just happened. Now, I've realised that I still keep those Buckethead riffs, but I've added a lot of post-metal stuff to it, again without realising.
superman is killing himself tonight
I agree with Joel, just learn things you think are cool and you'll end up putting them into what you do after a certain amount of time, just play and you'll end up where you're supposed to be, it's fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Its a dangerous thing to let an influence dominate you...I went through the whole zakk wylde thing years ago and it took awhile to degress myself out of that stuff to where I had to go like a year without listening to him...

Now when I listen to him it don't phase me and I pretty much ignore it hahaha
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I definitely think you should just write what you think sounds best/most interesting at any given time in your life. That standard will change as new and different tastes are acquired. Sometimes if I know I am too stuck in a certain style, I'll find an opposite/different style and force myself to compose a song in that regard. Doing that a few times has basically trained me to subconsciously realize that I can write differently and do enjoy writing in a variety of ways.

One of the best things I have ever done was giving up the guitar for around 6-7 months and focusing solely on playing piano. Looking back, I obviously didn't have to give up the guitar (and I encourage you not to either), I could have done both, but I just have a hard time doing a lot of things at once in my life. By the time I came back to guitar (fairly recently), my guitar styles were still there, but now I have new influences and composing methods.

I'd say learn to play as many instruments as you can. You don't have to spend hours on each secondary instrument every day, even just 20 minutes here and there and you can and will do yourself a big favor
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jul 24, 2010,
Use techniques they use and vary how they're used or if you really want to, use similar scale modes and keys they use.
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Take licks from your influnces , change them to the same key ( the key your playing in ) , and mix em up . 2 licks are nearlly in same place? Mix em together! Thats what i do and it seems to work quite well while improviseing
Why do you want to incorporate everything into one?!

If i did that i'd have a tune comprising Indie Brit-pop, Brutal Death Metal, Opeth, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Blues, Pop, Ska, Hip-hop and Punk - it'd sound awful.

All i can think of is either write the music that you're influenced by unconsciously and just see what comes out - or write a song in one style, another in the next, another in the next etc etc.