Page 1 of 2
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/jul/24/india-at-it-again/

It looks like an iPad, only it's 1/14th the cost. India has unveiled the prototype of a $35 basic touchscreen tablet aimed at students, which it hopes to bring into production by 2011.

The tablet can be used for functions like word processing, web browsing and video-conferencing. It has a solar power option too, important for India's energy-starved hinterlands, though that add-on costs extra.

This is pretty cool. They're even trying to eventually lower the price down to $10. Forget the iPad; I want one of these.
Last edited by Jon777 at Jul 24, 2010,
Take that, capitalism!

Oh wait.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I'd buy one. I mean, it's 35 bucks, it can't hurt that much.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by In The Mist
Well you get what you pay for.

Linux is fine....
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
OMG ITS THE NEW IPAD LOOK ALIKE (after ten minuets of playing with it) ohhh crap it broke, good thing i got that warranty to cover this and the other ten that broke already.
I'd be more excited if it wasn't Linux. I don't know anywhere near enough about computers to be able to build up a good Linux system (from what I've heard you basically build them up yourself, right?)

Edit: And yeah, one of the coolest things about the iPad is the multitouch shtuff you get to do, and this might turn out to be a glorified palm pilot.
Last edited by blake1221 at Jul 24, 2010,
the touch screen is probably cheap and unresponsive like all of the chinese ipod touch copies
... shit.

That's like... £20... that's absurd

o.O

Quote by blake1221
I'd be more excited if it wasn't Linux. I don't know anywhere near enough about computers to be able to build up a good Linux system (from what I've heard you basically build them up yourself, right?)

Not really, it depends what specific build you're running and what hardware you're using. If all these pads run on the same OS build and the same hardware it should be very VERY easy to use.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 24, 2010,
Quote by rickyj
the touch screen is probably cheap and unresponsive like all of the chinese ipod touch copies

It probably uses a stylus rather than a multitouch surface.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Quote by blake1221

Nope, you can install it like any other OS.
You *could* build it yourself, if you wanted to.
Yksinään hän vaeltaa mis' varjot lankeaa
Halki usvan ja roudan vain teräs seuranaan
Sydämensä kylmä on kuin maa routainen
Mutta silmissään viha polttava kuin kiuas tulinen
Quote by blake1221

Edit: And yeah, one of the coolest things about the iPad is the multitouch shtuff you get to do, and this might turn out to be a glorified palm pilot.

There are very user friendly versions of linux, try ubuntu.
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
iLike
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
it doesnt actually cost $15. The article says that the costs has been lowered thanks to government subsidies. So if you aren't a student in India, I think it's unlikely you could get your hands on one without paying the full price.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jul 24, 2010,
Sounds good, Steve Jobs can fuck off.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Jesus, what's it made of, breadcrumbs?
It's probably not made of greed like the iPad.
Quote by I.O.T.M
Sounds good, Steve Jobs can fuck off.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Butt Rayge
It's probably not made of great like the iPad.

Yeah, probably not.
... whats the catch??
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Sounds great, just because it doesn't say "Apple" anywhere on it doesn't mean that it's not good.
This is one of those things I'd buy just because it's so cheap. I don't want an iPad, but I'd buy this thing for...uh...stuff that I can't think of at the moment.
Quote by Alex Vik
This is one of those things I'd buy just because it's so cheap. I don't want an iPad, but I'd buy this thing for...uh...stuff that I can't think of at the moment.

Like me you'd buy it just so you can sit there with it and tell people how much less than an iPad it cost

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I never find myself away from a computer for long enough that I would ever make any particular use of a tablet PC...regardless of the price.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Like me you'd buy it just so you can sit there with it and tell people how much less than an iPad it cost

"With my new iPad, i can check my online banking on the bus and stuff."
"Yeah? with my <new-cheap-tablet-thing> I never check my bank account cause I didn't have to finance it!"

I probably still wouldn't buy it because I'm not important enough to do work on the go
Quote by JohnnyV
I probably still wouldn't buy it because I'm not important enough to do work on the go

I'm sure all the people who bought iPads spend all their time doing work

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I bet the people who made it are paid a dollar a week or something horrendous.
iPad is really some big ass useless device. I rather spend that money on a laptop.

This device might be good for students, allthough a laptop with a proper keyboard could have served the student-purposes better.

OffT: Pagan-Pie, put a space between hent and øksa in your sig.
Quote by GisleAune
iPad is really some big ass useless device. I rather spend that money on a laptop.

This device might be good for students, allthough a laptop with a proper keyboard could have served the student-purposes better.

OffT: Pagan-Pie, put a space between hent and øksa in your sig.

Quote by TEK34
So basically it's a glorified tablet PC? Like the iPad?

However, this one is sanely priced for the not so rich students in India.
Page 1 of 2