I'm in a band ATM, and we're getting ready to start playing our first shows. Now, my problem is my setup is an Ibanez RG-120 into a Vypyr 30W with a DS-1 ( ) and a MXR Classic Overdrive. The reason I have the DS-1 is cause I can't stand nearly all the distorted channels on the Vypyr, but I think it has nice cleans. Now, I want to get rid of the DS-1, buy a new pedal (Iwas thinking a Big Muff, the one with the Tone Wicker), and later down the road get a new guitar. Is this setup decent enough that it'll be usable for my first few gigs, and do you think the Vypyr 30W is good enough for gigging?
Sending a dummy to my God.

the vypyr is surely good and loud enought but....

i think that if you are not liking the tone you get from it, you should consider another amp. i dont know how you can dislike every preset, but i suppose you dont play metal at all, right?

if thats the case, i dont think this is the amp for you. it's a good amp, and it will work for gigs, but if you really want to improve your tone, you should start looking for better alternatives

what do you play?
whats your guitar?
hello

n.n
if anything, the venue will mic it. i played a show where the place doesn't even technically have a stage, but even they had a decent PA where they were able to mic up small amps. there was a band there that had a guitarist using a 10 watt MG. terrible tone, but he was heard.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by BusterSword
the vypyr is surely good and loud enought but....

i think that if you are not liking the tone you get from it, you should consider another amp. i dont know how you can dislike every preset, but i suppose you dont play metal at all, right?

if thats the case, i dont think this is the amp for you. it's a good amp, and it will work for gigs, but if you really want to improve your tone, you should start looking for better alternatives

what do you play?
whats your guitar?

Stuff ranging from the Arctic Monkeys to more pop-ish stuff like Paramore. So basically alternative/pop-punk? I'd say.
And my guitar is a RG-120... basically when I started out I wanted to play metal, and I don't anymore.

Quote by randomhero93
if anything, the venue will mic it. i played a show where the place doesn't even technically have a stage, but even they had a decent PA where they were able to mic up small amps. there was a band there that had a guitarist using a 10 watt MG. terrible tone, but he was heard.

This. Any amp is loud enough for gigging, and if it isn't loud enough, the venue sucks.

On a side note, I love it when clueless people (see couple posts above) who probably haven't ever gigged tell people with small ss amps to get a cab, it's just ridiculous.
You can mic up, depends on th effects you use on the amp, our singer/guitarist likes a fair swig of chorus and reverb, and sometimes this can make things mushy with the vocals depending on the PA. Personally I think Tube all the way if you can afford it, much better tones than SS anyday of the week, and louder, a 30 watt tube amp would easily cover 85%+ of your standard pub style venues I woud say. And the driven/distorted tones are usually nicer too, particularly at gig volumes, whereas SS tend to rather trebly and weak.