Page 1 of 2
Alright.

So I bought this two years ago.

Last year I bought a BOSS ME-70.

I think my sound is alright, but I dunno, it still feels kind of cheap.

So I was wondering if I should buy a new amp or guitar? Based on the amp and guitar I linked, which one would be better off replaced/which would change the sound more?

And I mostly play Metal/Thrash Metal, but I don't go any higher than that.

I do like having a lot of diversity though, so like Hard Rock and Classic Rock should be in my "arsenal" as well. Haha.

And if you want to recommend an amp/guitar, go for it. Nothing too expensive, though.
I have that same starter pack, it's sitting right behind me.. It was my brothers but he never got into it and now I'm trying to get rid of it.

Seriously, that amp is trash. New amp. The guitar is.. Do-able.. I guess.

He got a lemon though.. rusted frets, hardware, sh*tty input jack plate.. Everything was just UGH...
and shitty guitar will yield a better sound through an awsome amp rather then an awsome guitar guitar through a shitty amp!
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Cool then.

Any recommendations for what amp to buy based on the descriptions I gave on what I like to play and such?
depends on what you want out of the upgrade, judging by your post, you want your rig to sound heavier. If that is a case, get an amp, however, if you feel like your ability is being hindered by a cheap guitar, or if playing is uncomfortable for you, get a new guitar

personally, I'm always for upgrading guitar>amp for beginners, because unless your gigging/recording sound shouldn't be a huge issue to you.
Quote by Arianator
Cool then.

Any recommendations for what amp to buy based on the descriptions I gave on what I like to play and such?

Get a Mesa Mark V. That should be perfect for you.
Definatly the amp first, those starter 10-15watt amps suck like hell. Your guitar looks ok, but get a cool amp. A 30 watt line 6 should do it perfectly for you

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

Quote by Damaged Roses
Definatly the amp first, those starter 10-15watt amps suck like hell. Your guitar looks ok, but get a cool amp. A 30 watt line 6 should do it perfectly for you

No.

Go for a Vypyr 30 instead.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If you dont want to feel like you're playing something cheap, get a tube amp (Yay!)
What's your budget?
Quote by Raijouta
No.

Go for a Vypyr 30 instead.

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

most vypyrs break down
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Quote by 100%
NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

most vypyrs break down

Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
I learned that when it comes to sound amp and speakers have a bigger impact in the sound, than the guitar, but a shitty guitar with a bad setup is a complete no no. So if your guitar is bad enough to make noise by all means get a guitar instead.
Is it worth it to pay the extra 100 for the 75 Peavey?

I don't perform, it's just for practicing and jamming with friends.
Quote by Arianator

I will recommend a roland cube far over the peavey.
Quote by Arianator

If you're willing to shell out.. try the vypyr 60 tube?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
Amp
I would rather have a cheap ass Epiphone Les Paul Special II with a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier than a Parker Fly with a Marshall MG
Buy my vox ad100vt-xl that im selling lol
But seriously look into a low watt tube amp youll have to save a couple extra hundered dollars but it will be worth it.
Check around for used gear you can find some nice deals on ebay, craigs list
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by Arianator

No, it's not, unless you're playing with a lot of other people. If you're still a beginner, then by that time, you'll want a better amp anyway.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Or the Roland Cube. Cubes are amazing.

I like them better than the Vypyrs. That's right, I said it.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Well, you have a point in that Companion Cubes are better than Vypyrs, but As far as Rolands... let's just say that you're probably in a minority.

Vypyrs have much more tonal variety, imo. And they just sound damn good for cheap modeling amps.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Totally get a new amp, and COMPLETELY immerse yourself in learning how to set-up and fine-tune your guitar. It's not hard at all. The guitar should have came with the allen wrenches you need, now go to an auto store and get some feeler gauges and a 6 in. steel engineer ruler, and pick up a capo, and bust out the instruction manual on your guitar or read various web sources about setting it up. Don't be freaked out about 'ooh you'll damage your truss rod' either. Just set it to the spec listed in the instruction manual for your guitar, it will work fine.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by derekgray
Totally get a new amp, and COMPLETELY immerse yourself in learning how to set-up and fine-tune your guitar. It's not hard at all. The guitar should have came with the allen wrenches you need, now go to an auto store and get some feeler gauges and a 6 in. steel engineer ruler, and pick up a capo, and bust out the instruction manual on your guitar or read various web sources about setting it up. Don't be freaked out about 'ooh you'll damage your truss rod' either. Just set it to the spec listed in the instruction manual for your guitar, it will work fine.

+ effin 1.

This is what i tell friends getting into guitar.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
I say it depends on what you want to upgrade
If you want to upgrade the feel, go for the guitar
If you want to upgrade the tone, upgrade the amp

This setting probably plays and sounds pretty basic, it really depends on what you want though. I had this same amp and actually liked it, and I still do, so I bought a new guitar before I bought a new amp (and it actually took me a few years to get a new amp, I bought a few guitars before)
In the end, it really depends on whether or not you are happy with the aspects you have
I was thinking of getting an amp now and a guitar maybe towards the holiday season.

Sound good?

So the general consensus seems to be towards the Vypyr for the $200-300 range?
Have a line 6 spider iii 30 watt like recommended above that I could sell to you for $100 plus shipping.
A spider 3 is an upgrade?

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
aside the "all the vypyrs break down" and "get a spider" posts you got a lot of good advice here ts.

another poster mentioned craigslist, that's where i would look as well as stores. used gear saves you money, providing it's in perfect working order.

$200 isn't much, any chance you can save more and maybe add that to a holiday or birthday gift?

nearest major city for a used gear search?

since it's just home practice, try a vibro champ xd as well as the vypyr. great tone for $200.

edit: ts if you post what major city you are near, we would post some links to used gear near you to check out. if not, that's fine.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 26, 2010,
I see that $200 doesn't completely satisfy what I'm looking for in some peoples' opinion.

How much do you think I would need to spend?
dont waste the extra money on the 75 watt, the 30 watt is plenty loud if your just at home jamming.
If you fart and burp will you implode?!
---
Agile Septor Pro 727
ESP/Ltd M-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez RGA32
Randall RG100 G3Plus
---
MY NAME IS RYAN AND I EAT PEANUT BUTTER
Is there a difference for recording through the USB or the 3.5mm jack? In terms of quality.
I'd imagine the USB would be cleaner, if there was any difference.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by dudejetfighter
dont waste the extra money on the 75 watt, the 30 watt is plenty loud if your just at home jamming.

+1

Also, you can do a lot more with USB. It'll become handy in the future if you get into serious recording and stuff.

Also, I think you can download stuff through it, but don't quote me on that.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Page 1 of 2