Hi guys,

I'm looking for a solid body guitar that has as much sustain and bassi-ness as I can find. This will be my drop-tune guitar! (chugga chugga chugga).

I'm looking for
24 frets
Actives

Any help would be appreciated! \m/'

EDIT: I'm in Australia, and my budget is around 2kish.

EDIT EDIT: Do you guys think it's overkill to have two amps for bedroom playing? One for blues/rock tones and one for metal? I'm liking the look of the Peavy 6505+ combo...
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Last edited by N_J_B_B at Jul 24, 2010,
Schecter Blackjack ATX

EDIT: I have no clue how much 2k aus is in US
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Jul 24, 2010,
Quote by randomhero93
Schecter Blackjack ATX

+1. Although if you really want to chug it might be worth checking out the baritone Hellraiser or some of Schecter’s 7 string models.
If you want the chugga chugga then doing get actives actives.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by N_J_B_B
Ya know I was just lookin' around and saw this... what do you guys think?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=527000

They're great guitars. Might not suit you so well with the 24 3/4" scale though. Changing tunings is a bitch with a FR too.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy
They're great guitars. Might not suit you so well with the 24 3/4" scale though. Changing tunings is a bitch with a FR too.

well if he wants a more bassier low-end chug, then the 24 3/4" would better suit him. I myself just wouldnt go with the floyd rose model. But it should work well.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Aim for any guitar with a maple set neck and a mahogany body. Do not give in to the temptations of a maple neck-through guitar, because that will be very bright and as far from ''fat'' as can be. Try to stick to a maple neck as a mahogany neck can get a bit muddy with excessive down-tuning (unless you really know what you're doing with your amp's EQ section - which is also something you need to get good at if you're going to use active pickups).

Quote by flanders_91
well if he wants a more bassier low-end chug, then the 24 3/4" would better suit him. I myself just wouldnt go with the floyd rose model. But it should work well.
The Floyd ''overrides'' the scale length in terms of tone; a 24.75" scale guitar with a Floyd will be noticably brighter and thinner-toned than a 28" guitar with a fixed bridge, let alone a standard 25.5" scale guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jul 24, 2010,
Wow I never knew about that Mr.Flibble, that's great advice! Is a shorter scale neck like the LTD a bad thing for drop-tuning?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I wouldnt go past C on a 24 3/4 scale guitar unless you want to get some stupid heavy strings, a 7 string with some good pickups will give you all the chug you need
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
C7 Blackjack ATX! There about $1600-1700 last time i checked at billy hyde. Also try ordering from Rondo music mate?
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
I heard that Schecter have baseball bat necks. :|

I play an SG nowadays, my Epiphone G-400. Is there much diff. in thickness?

Also, this will be tuned to drop B usually.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B

If you're gonna be tuning that low, you should be looking into baritones, not normal guitars.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy
If you're gonna be tuning that low, you should be looking into baritones, not normal guitars.

FWIW, I picked up a used Schecter Blackjack EX baritone recently for $400 at GC, I'm sure better deals are out there. Neck through, mahogany, 26.5 and Seymour Duncan JBs and 59s. It seems like it's in the sweet spot for what the TS is looking for.

Edit: I just saw the TS's price range, and he can do much better. But the EX has an excellent play/price ratio nonetheless.
Last edited by Rt1Rebel at Jul 25, 2010,
Quote by Rt1Rebel
Schecter Blackjack EX baritone
[...]
Neck through, mahogany, 26.5.

26.5" scale isn't really baritone. But yeah, Schecter are good for those oddball scales.

Quote by N_J_B_B

Peopel who call Schecter necks thick have no idea what an average neck is, let alone a thick one. SSchecter necks are slimmer than average - it is thinner than your Epi's neck is. It's also flatter.

Then you want at least 25.5" scale. At least. I know of a few people that use 24.75" scale guitars tuned to Drop B and it's not a pretty sound, plus you need to use insanely thick strings and very high action just to stop the buzzing.

I really would recommend you look at getting a baritone guitar or a 7-string guitar. My rule of thumb is if you're tuning lower than C (ither Drop or Standard), get a 7-string. Tuning down a step and a half + drop-tuning on a standard scale guitar isn't the best idea.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
26.5" scale isn't really baritone. But yeah, Schecter are good for those oddball scales.

Absolutely, but it's a nice tweener scale for those that might want to try some drop. I've mine tuned standard with only slightly heavy strings, and it plays well that way too. It's a versatile guitar, IMO.
Last edited by Rt1Rebel at Jul 25, 2010,
So it should have a 26.5+ scale length? How large will the frets be then? I have average hands but I like to do some juicy chords that even on my SG are stretchy! So, so far for the list of possible baritones it's a Schecter... any other suggestions? Thanks for the advice dudes,
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
If you're after a guitar under 2k which is unreal, at the moment B-music in gawler SA is having a pretty insane sale

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12575

Lots of guitars there which would suit your style and your budget. Personally i play on a Michael Amott Ninja which has a maple neck through design, floyd and a 24 3/4" scale and it's by far one of the ballsiest, and clear guitars i've owned, period. You'd be surprised at the tones you can get out of some guitars with the right pickups and EQ.

EDIT: also, if you're after something that will handle Drop B very well try and grab the ESP Horizon NT-II, they're fantastic guitars and the entirety of the new Soilwork album was recorded on one so they can handle cleans and heavy tones easily, also it's a 25.5" scale so it'll work fine with a set of 10-52s on there, i've got one of my 25.5" guitars tuned to Drop B at the moment with some D'Addarios and it holds tune fine and has a nice tension to it.
Last edited by SDM at Jul 25, 2010,
Quote by N_J_B_B
So it should have a 26.5+ scale length? How large will the frets be then? I have average hands but I like to do some juicy chords that even on my SG are stretchy! So, so far for the list of possible baritones it's a Schecter... any other suggestions? Thanks for the advice dudes,
IF you're finding yourself stretching on an SG which is 24.75" scale, I don't think baritone is for you.

Look into seven strings. Their standard tuning is B Standard so it will have the same range as a 6-string tuned to Drop B, only it will play like a regular guitar rather than a drop-tuned one (though some people do drop-tune 7-strings to Drop A). 7 strings work fine with a standard scale length of 25.5" so it won't be a problem for your chording and you'll still get that low B when you need it.
Quote by MrFlibble
7 strings work fine with a standard scale length of 25.5" so it won't be a problem for your chording and you'll still get that low B when you need it.

i used to own an rg7321 which has a 25.5" scale - i find that scale results in a very slinky feel for sevens, and i think it contributed to the muddy tone it produced (pickups were crap too). that guitar was also cursed with tuning problems - it's personal preference though i guess, maybe i just got a bad egg.
Quote by SDM
If you're after a guitar under 2k which is unreal, at the moment B-music in gawler SA is having a pretty insane sale

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12575

Lots of guitars there which would suit your style and your budget. Personally i play on a Michael Amott Ninja which has a maple neck through design, floyd and a 24 3/4" scale and it's by far one of the ballsiest, and clear guitars i've owned, period. You'd be surprised at the tones you can get out of some guitars with the right pickups and EQ.

EDIT: also, if you're after something that will handle Drop B very well try and grab the ESP Horizon NT-II, they're fantastic guitars and the entirety of the new Soilwork album was recorded on one so they can handle cleans and heavy tones easily, also it's a 25.5" scale so it'll work fine with a set of 10-52s on there, i've got one of my 25.5" guitars tuned to Drop B at the moment with some D'Addarios and it holds tune fine and has a nice tension to it.

Dude are you in SA too?
I'd love toget down to B music... my teacher always raves about it, but i'm about an hour and a half/ 2 hour drive from there.

@Mr. Flibble, It sucks where I live, 7 stringers are über expensive. I'll have a look at a schecter I guess.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
Ya know I was just lookin' around and saw this... what do you guys think?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=527000

Well, I can't say how the EC-1000 with the FR is. But I can vouch for the EC-1000 without FR. Got one meself, and loving it to death. Gives a real smooth but bassy tone, and it's a great quality guitar, never ever had any problems with it, stays in tune like a dream!
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.