I saw a Squier PRO TONE Thinline Telecaster today and played it. It's a 1997 and I was really surprised. The guitar shop is asking $340 usd. My question is to anyone who owns or has owned one, what are the pros and cons and is it worth the $340? I almost just bought it but I haven't seen or heard of too many of these. Thanks for any input. This picture isn't the actual but it looks just like it.
Attachments:
Fender Squier PRO TONE Thinline Telecaster.jpg
I know Squier's usually got a really bad reputation but most of the Squier haters here are basing their opinions on a $150 Squier bullet pack, and haven't tried the Epiphone equivalent yet hate on the Squier only. I've seen some pretty decent Epiphones, so it wouldn't surprise me if Squier was one of those "get what you pay for" companies, most manufacturers are nowadays. The question is how does it play?

Here's the big mistake most people make, which I've made plenty of times. Try it again, this time you know what to expect. Now be as brutal as you can on your decision. If you're sinking $340 down on it, it had better be damn worth it. To most of the people here, $340 for a guitar isn't squat and if it holds a tune it's better than most equal priced equivalents, but regardless money's money. If it doesn't meet your every expectation, keep saving. If you buy it and it sounds awesome and you're GAS'ing really bad, then you get home and play it for three hours straight and already hate it, you're now officially $340 behind on your next replacement. If you see ANYTHING wrong with it that you can not fix yourself in under an hour and less than $30, I wouldn't but it's your decision if you want to spend more time and money on it. If it sounds okay and it's really playable as is, and you'd be comfortable playing this guitar for the next year or two, get it.

I'll tell ya right now it definitely impresses me so far as far as looks go on a squier. I've played dark maple and light maple necks before, and a nice bright maple neck like that is my absolute favorite. Smooth as glass, real easy to clean. Only downside is it fades and shows stains easy but proper care and they're wonderful necks. It's a semi-hollow, so I doubt you're looking at it for metal judging by what it is. Dunno if that's gold or brass hardware, either way looks like durable material, looks comparable to a fender. Last question I have to ask is is the wood finish a laminate made to look like a transparent finish, or is it an actual transparent red finish?

Reason I ask is a transparent finish can be fixed if scratched. Very difficult to replace a random design such as a wood grain if it's painted on.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
As far as I know (according to the store owner) it's not a laminate. That was my first question. He was pretty sure it was Ash. It is gold hardware. I have a 1990American Standard Strat and I love the maple neck. My only complaint (and it's a small one) was the neck wasn't quite up to par with my strat. It was very nice though. I think the pickups could stand an upgrade as well but the fit and finish was much more than any Squier I have played. I owned a Tom Delonge Squier and really enjoyed it. Other than that I haven't had much luck with them until now. Maybe I just haven't given them a serious enough look until now.
Quote by cranium2001
I saw a Squier PRO TONE Thinline Telecaster today and played it. It's a 1997 and I was really surprised. The guitar shop is asking $340 usd. My question is to anyone who owns or has owned one, what are the pros and cons and is it worth the $340? I almost just bought it but I haven't seen or heard of too many of these. Thanks for any input. This picture isn't the actual but it looks just like it.

god if it looks anything like that that is the sexiest squire ive ever seen i would buy just for looks alone but honestly couldnt tell ya a thing about it if its $340 its probly a better deal than Bullet pack so conside that and if you like it and have the money go for it!!
Quote by cranium2001
I'd hit it! Hard! I've seen those go as high as $700 in minty, almost NOS condition.

MIK Squier Pro Tones, in minty condition, are just as collectible as the MIJ Squier JV and SQ Series from the early '80s.

I'm hunting for minty Pro Tone Teles to accompany my Pro Tone, JV and SQ Strats.

Congratulations. You, sir, have found a Squier worthy of the UG Forum Seal Of BuyTheF*ckin'Thing.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
I'm gonna be pissed if I took the stress on me to shut up for just one post and say something smart instead of "Well how's the tuning stability? It's really up to you." and nobody bothers to sig it.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Thanks for the input. Ippon, those all look kick ass. I guess I had better get there as soon as I can on Monday and make the deal.
Quote by cranium2001
As far as I know (according to the store owner) it's not a laminate. That was my first question. He was pretty sure it was Ash. It is gold hardware. I have a 1990American Standard Strat and I love the maple neck. My only complaint (and it's a small one) was the neck wasn't quite up to par with my strat. It was very nice though. I think the pickups could stand an upgrade as well but the fit and finish was much more than any Squier I have played. I owned a Tom Delonge Squier and really enjoyed it. Other than that I haven't had much luck with them until now. Maybe I just haven't given them a serious enough look until now.
Correct! Same with their Strats.

Make sure to do it as cleanly as possible and keep all of the parts in the case with dessicant ... just in case you decide to sell it. Part of its collectibility are the stock parts and finish.

I bought a Squier Pro Tone Strat a few months back for $350. Totally worth it. It plays better than any MIM I've played and even a few MIA strats. I also installed the Fender Active Mid Boost in it because the old electronics were dying when I got it.

Pickups sound good, Neck is nice and easy to play on, it looks sexy as all hell, it just sounds fantastic and is versatile beyond belief (especially with that kit installed). If the tele's are anything like my strat, I'd say it's money well spent.

EDIT: Also the bridge is fantastic. I can do some pretty heavy wanking on the trem bar and it stays mostly in tune, the only time it falls out is when I start hitting the guitar itself. Plus my strings are old. So really, this guitar is fantastic.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Last edited by JF-SH1 at Jul 25, 2010,