I'm a bass player who is looking to pick up the guitar also and am having a hard time deciding what amp to get. The genres I would like to play range from ska and stoner rock to metal and metalcore. My budget is $200-$250 tops and I would prefer quality over loudness but would like the ability to jam with friends at the minimum. As for small tube combos, they are welcome but I would need to fit one AND at least a distortion pedal into the budget (unless the combo itself has sufficient gain). I was looking at the Peavey Vypyr 15 because of it's very reasonable price and because it does seem to be fairly recommended as far as small SS combos go. I'd prefer to stay under $200 (one again, less is more) if it's solid state because I'd hate to shell out a wad of cash on something that I won't be satified with tone wise down the road.

Peavey Vyryr 15
Bugera V5 (figure I'd need a pedal with this one)
Vox VT15 Valvetronix
Kustom KG210FX or KG212FX
Fender Vibro-Champ XD (heard that it's tube, would I need a pedal with this)

I welcome any constructive input that will help me with my decision. Don't be afraid to recomend amps that aren't on my list.

Thanks,
Lunari
The V5 is tube, and will need pedals to do stoner rock and metal.

I'd say go for a Vypyr 30.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The V5 is tube, and will need pedals to do stoner rock and metal.

I'd say go for a Vypyr 30.

Don't get the Vyper 15. Its little 8-inch speaker doesn't do its distorted tones any justice. Get the 30W and you'll have a nice 12in speaker.
What about a second choice other than the Vypyr? There has to be more options out there
Quote by lunari
What about a second choice other than the Vypyr? There has to be more options out there

There are but that suits your budget the best by a long way
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win