OK guys, after goofing around with a ts9 and a 6505+ at GC today I've decided to take the plunge and buy a tube screamer to tighten up my Bugera 6262. However, I have a few questions concerning which pedal to buy. Here's a list of the pedals I've looked into. Any suggestions as to the pros and cons of each would be great. Max price is 50 dollars. Willing to go used.

I'm looking for the ability to function as an overdrive as well as a boost for the lead channel, and it has to have a fair amount of bass.

I've looked at:

Ibanez TS7
Digitech Bad Monkey
Deltalab TO1
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Drive

I've also considered saving up more and buying an actual TS9. Thoughts?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I own the BBE Green Screamer and I LOVE IT.

Seriously try it out before you do anything.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by dragnrider9
maxon od808-if you like pick dynamics and leads.
keeley modded stuff (link)
http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=31

...etc.etc.

Did you not see the 50 dollar cap...
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
you can probably find a used TS9 for $50
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
out of those that you listed in the OP the Bad Monkey is probably the best overdrive, but is much lighter than a tubescreamer. More of a bluesy breakup.

A TS9 will literally be worlds better than any of those though.

I bought one last year, and it was the best purchase I ever made. Especially if your amp isn't that amazing. It did amazing where my Boss DS-1 and/or OD-3 just couldn't cut it. After going through a lot of different lower prices distortions and overdrives, including a bad monkey, I was more content just using the amps onboard gain cause I didn't think any of them sounded good for what I was playing. Then I got a real TS9 and never looked back.

although I will admit I know nothing about the delta lab, best advice is to just goto guitar center and try em all.

just keep waiting for a good deal, you'll definitely be able ot find a TS9 for $50. Look around craigslist. Even if they have it listed for more offer them $50, theres so popular that I bet you'll have no trouble finding a used one on CL for $50.
I mean someone just sold a TS808 on this site a few weeks ago for $45, which is insane since they cost like $180 new.

/rant
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 25, 2010,
If you GOTTA have screamer clone, I would also suggest the BBE Green Screamer. This is a VERY nice pedal, and not as noisy as some of the others.

Another option. I was in the same boat...looking to tighten up my 6262 a bit...I actually ended up with a Danelectro (or whatever the hell the name is) Fish & Chips 7 band EQ. Run it as a clean boost, and you get to decide how much bass it has instead of just turning a tone dial.

The 6262 doesn't need any more gain...which is a reason most run a screamer with the gain at minimum, and level maxed...just turn up the level on an EQ pedal infront of the amp. Same basic idea, but MUCH more versatile!

makes my cleans crunchy, My Crunch sound like a modded Marshal, and my leads insane!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Jul 25, 2010,
TS7. There are literally 3 differences from the TS9 not including the mojo chip that the TS9 doesn't come with that can be 'fixed' in 5 minutes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yeah, and i have found tons of those mojo chips in old 'junk'. broken ross flanger, 4 jrc4558's, some old 'dixon' pedal had 2 of em, both were freebies cuz they were broken.

you can also get new ones that (imo) sound as good for a couple bucks anyway.

all the ts-9's i have seen have the pin adapter for slip new op amps in without any soldering necessary.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I just put a BB OPA2134 in the RI 808 I owned for lower noise. I noticed a bit of improved clarity and slightly more treble when used alone but that was it. All gone when used as a boost, other than the low noise aspect. That's what builders should be spending money on, low noise parts. JRC chips are cheap noisy little bastards.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
I just put a BB OPA2134 in the RI 808 I owned for lower noise. I noticed a bit of improved clarity and slightly more treble when used alone but that was it. All gone when used as a boost, other than the low noise aspect. That's what builders should be spending money on, low noise parts. JRC chips are cheap noisy little bastards.

pretty much agreed, opamps are really consolidated components to cut overhead in space and cost, not really designed for high quality. i find low-noise/hi-fi opamps are preferable kinda in the way hi-fi'ish power tubes are preferred (KT88's over EL34's), they just have preferable sound quality in general. i don't know why hi fi components are not more popular boutique guitar pedal market.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Thanks for the help everyone. I think the general consensus to save up for a used TS9 and mod the hell out of it as needed, so that's what I think I'll do.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Why not get the TS7 if you're just gonna mod it?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Go back to GC and see if they have any more of the MXR Classic Overdrives left for $30.