Ok I'm kinda embarassed to ask this cause after 16 years of playing I should know this....but I don't

Ok,so I bought a MIM 70s strat about a year ago and I've been gigging with it and stuff but while doing intonation checks on all my guitars at once tonight I noticed that when I strum it unplugged its barely audible compared to my other 2 strats.the other 2 are early 90s MIJ 70s strats.

Is this normal? They all have similar action and playability...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I'm pretty sure that all has to do with the body wood, strumming, string gauge and bridge hardware.

All that stuff effects how loud a guitar is unplugged... I couldn't exactly tell you which makes it louder. I think even how the guitar is routed could change the projection, regardless of having a pickguard or not.

Besides, electric guitars aren't really made to project their sound acoustically. That's what them big fat goofy looking hollow thingers are for... oh yeah acoustics.
Why would you play it unplugged, for the most part, anyway? I mean, it's not meant to be played unplugged.
i wouldnt worrie about it too much. my fender american strat isnt that loud "unplugged" but it sounds amazing plugged in.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
I see where he's coming from with having an electric guitar with lots of projection... I mean, it's nice to be able to hear yourself when you play unplugged.

I'd say my Schecter made of mahogany with a mahogany neck and quilted maple top is louder unplugged than my basswood with a bolt-on maple neck Dean.
Yeah it sounds good plugged in so I'm not to worried
I like to sit on the couch and practice unplugged sometimes lol

Thanks for the help everyone

do the strings have the same amount of wear? whenever i play at night i have to play unplugged, and i noticed a HUGE difference in volume when i just switched my strings.

and i definitely agree about playing unplugged sometime. i get tired of hearing what my amps translate my guitar to sound like sometimes.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
That is totally normal. It is called an electric guitar for a reason. Do not buy into the BS that an electric must sing like what do they call those things with the hole in the middle?.......Asscustic or something like that. If the guitar sounds good through your amp and plays well then it is a good guitar.
People tend to forget electric guitar is a system made up of a bunch components.Such as guitar,cord,effects if any and your amp blah blah. I am not going to break it down 100% but you get the idea and each one has its own contribution to the total package. There is an old saying.....If it ain't broke don't break it. Figure that one out your self.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by al112987
do they all have the same bridge?

Yeah their all just regular vintage style and the strings are all about a month and a half old

I guess what I'm getting at is it just don't make sense.I have a black MIJ strat that is loud as heck unpluged and this ones just nothing...but its all good,I just never really noticed them

Thanks