Okay,, I have been playing for about 5 years, and I play alot each day. I have been getting into alot of shred and extreme metal latley, and I would like to know how to do 16ths at 200bpm fluently.

I anchor my hand and move my wrist only, what am I doing wrong? Am I just weak in the tricep area?

Help
Quote by Night_Warrior
Okay,, I have been playing for about 5 years, and I play alot each day. I have been getting into alot of shred and extreme metal latley, and I would like to know how to do 16ths at 200bpm fluently.

I anchor my hand and move my wrist only, what am I doing wrong? Am I just weak in the tricep area?

Help

Well first of all, your triceps have absolutely nothing to do with your wrist. Second, try to break the habit of anchoring. It helps for accuracy, but there are some risks to it (carpal tunnel syndrome and stuff like that). Third, practice. Slow it down and gradually work your way up to full speed using a metronome.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
you could also try to learn to circular pick
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by Junior#1
Well first of all, your triceps have absolutely nothing to do with your wrist. Second, try to break the habit of anchoring. It helps for accuracy, but there are some risks to it (carpal tunnel syndrome and stuff like that). Third, practice. Slow it down and gradually work your way up to full speed using a metronome.

Well, I can't break that habit, I wont try because thats how I play best, hehe.

I do slow it down with a metronome (its one note), but I still stay in the 150-160bom range :/

Quote by selkies
you could also try to learn to circular pick

I don't wanna look like a fag jk
Do you have a problem playing all the notes at that speed? Getting them to ring out properly? Or playing that many notes at that speed for too long? You made the thread title about hand endurance, but you don't say what the issue is that you're having.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
Do you have a problem playing all the notes at that speed? Getting them to ring out properly? Or playing that many notes at that speed for too long? You made the thread title about hand endurance, but you don't say what the issue is that you're having.

I can not get to 200bpm, playing that many notes at that speed for too long.

Sorry :/

They are all palm muted btw
If you wanna do 16ths at 200bpm, learn how to economy pick, alternate pick, and sweep pick with your picking hand. Then to make your fretting hand fast, practice scales or play the caterpillar. The caterpillar is just playing any consecutive four notes on one string then the same frets on the next string. For example: play frets 5, 6, 7, and 8 on the low E string then 5, 6, 7, and 8 on the A string.

Oh and on the hand endurance, your hands will just have to get stronger with more playing. Or you could do curl ups to make your forearms stronger.
Quote by Night_Warrior
Well, I can't break that habit, I wont try because thats how I play best, hehe.

I do slow it down with a metronome (its one note), but I still stay in the 150-160bom range :/

I don't wanna look like a fag jk

You'll have to learn to break the habit. There's times when it's ok to anchor, and times like these where you're trying to develop speed, when it's not.
So practice slowly without anchoring. Then every day practice a little bit faster. Start at 60bpm, then go to 65. Then the next day start at 60, 65, then 70. And keep going at that pace. You don't want to push yourself too hard too fast. And if you mess up when you jump to the next level, take it back a notch and practice there for that day. Then try again the next.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by RR3tran
If you wanna do 16ths at 200bpm, learn how to economy pick, alternate pick, and sweep pick with your picking hand. Then to make your fretting hand fast, practice scales or play the caterpillar. The caterpillar is just playing any consecutive four notes on one string then the same frets on the next string. For example: play frets 5, 6, 7, and 8 on the low E string then 5, 6, 7, and 8 on the A string.

Oh and on the hand endurance, your hands will just have to get stronger with more playing. Or you could do curl ups to make your forearms stronger.

And masturbate. A lot! It will help.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Junior#1
Well first of all, your triceps have absolutely nothing to do with your wrist.

Sorry OP, that just gave me a good laugh.

Linking this video is the best advice I can give you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNhhyrnINIU

Perfect your technique at slow speeds, then the higher speeds will come. But if you try to push the higher speeds without doing the former, you'll just get frustrated.