So I love, I mean LOVE my new Tempest, buuut I can already tell new pups are in order. So my thought is either replace both the pickups with decent upgrades like set of Seymour Duncan's (59/JB?) or just upgrade the bridge pickup for now, as it's the one I use more, and get something really boutique-y like a Motor City pup. So the first question is which of those options to go with.

The second is really more of just an issue with buying pickups. I really can't get an idea of how these things sound just through the descriptions on websites trying to sell the pickups, this is less a problem with larger brands, but smaller companies don't really have many demo's out there to listen to, is there any way around this? or should I just go in and hope for the best. I know if I buy something from a nice brand it will be a good pickup, but I can't really be sure if it's the right pickup. So any advice on that would be nice.

As for genres I play a lot of punk, blues, generic rock n roll. Nothing more brutal than Muse or RATM, if that's any gauge for you. I'd like to keep it close to $100 for a single pup, I can push it a little but not all that much.

Cheers,
-Chris
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Yeah the seymour sounds like a good idea.
You cant really get an idea of how the pickup will sound on your guitar until its in there, the different woods and different electronics will always produce a different tone.
Theres a reason why the "big brands" are big, they make quality products so its a good idea to stick to them.
A different pickup i could suggest for you is a dimarzio evo.
What's wrong with the Custom Custom and '59 already in there? Both great pickups, especially since you're not playing anything heavy
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
What's wrong with the Custom Custom and '59 already in there? Both great pickups, especially since you're not playing anything heavy

Maybe its an older schecter with duncan designs