Hi everyone, I was wondering, why is it not recommended to record a guitar with delay but that it should be put in later?
Because it gives you more flexibility. Say you realise after you record it that the delay is off, you have no way to remove it without doing another take. It's just needless hassle.
No. You don't lose anything by adding the delay after and you lose a whole lot by not. If you want to use some specific delay then it's a different story obviously.
It all comes down to flexibility. Its a lot harder to remove delay from a track than it is to add it. But recordings an art, you can do whatever you want.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
it completly depends on the delay. with a digital delay, yeah, i would rather put it on afterwards so i can tweak it and stuff. if i am running one of my analog delays, it really doesnt work to add that later. well, you could re-route the signal through the delay and stuff, but that seems a bit silly.

so yeah, it really depends on the application and what you are going for. there are times when recording the delay with the part is the better idea, and there are a lot of times when adding the delay later is the better idea.
With a guitar stompbox you may only have 3 knobs... some of the plug ins/ outboard processing available offer a lot more flexibility in terms of fine tuning specific paramaters of a delay i.e feedback, echo, decay, intensity etc.
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
Besides, most of the decent delay plugins are actually *better* sound quality than your BOSS digital delay stomp box.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
as a guitarist, if the part i'm playing relies heavily on the delay (think U2...), i, as a guitarist, would prefer to record that as a part of my guitar tone so that when i play i can play with the delay on through my pedal that i'm used to using. If i can find a good plugin to just listen to but not record while i play, that's better, but i cant always get the right sound out of a plugin. if it's just there to fill out the tone a little bit and isn't too prominent, i'm completely fine with adding it later.

strictly from the engineer side, there's more than just not being able to take the delay off. it's also controlling the wet/dry mix of it, changing the type or parameters of the delay, EQing, or even automating the delay in some cases. engineers like to have control, especially mix engineers.
i just skimmed through the posts but you can set up an aux track and send your guitar to the aux track insert an delay thats in time with the song and viola. you record the regular unprocessed guitar but still have the delay coming from the monitors/headphones. I do this alot with vocalist who "have to have" reverb and delay on to record. You get the best of both worlds. the ability to record with delay and go back and tweak it during the mix
^ I do that too, though for monitoring effects, they are usually set up as an insert rather than an aux send. It's just simpler for that application.

This is typically done by adding the effect at some point between the recorder (in other words, after the signal has been recorded.... so you don't record it) and the playback monitors/headphones (so you can hear it before it comes back to you).

This may be done many ways... and may involve an aux send or an insert, and may or may not involve extra hardware (a mixer, etc.) .

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Well, I just posted a rough draft of the song that I was recording on my page. If any of you have time please take a listen. Constructive criticism is always appreciated. The name of the song is Untitled. Thanks for the help everyone!