Hi, I didnt see anything on the paint/refinishing thread that dealt specifically with nitrocellulose paint/finish, which I would think would make for a great home paint job. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any simple guides with a simple list of what is needed to actually do this job. So I was wondering, UG, if somebody could post up a list of supplies needed for nitrocellulose painting (for this, just assume that the color will be solid, no burst) and also an extremely simple chronological list of steps (IE, general names like "apply clear coat, 2 coats"), starting with a plain body without a finish. Thanks so much to anybody that can help me with this, I'm still in my search for the great American custom guitar, and I'm sure this would make it that much easier.
BC Rich Warlock 81/85 Floyd Rose
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
Pre-1933 Olds Bass Trombone (G/F Triggers)
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Ibanez TK999HT Tube King Distortion
Digitech RP70
Currently, only with a Fender Frontman 25R

"We'll do it live"
for the love of french toast.

Ultimate refinishing thread
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Their link to a nitro guide is broken.
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Digitech RP70

"We'll do it live"
ah, my mistake.

i tried googling, didnt really come up with anything. i would imagine it would be very similar to painting with regular lacquer, so i would research that.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Off to Home Depot at 12:30 in the morning (my time)!! That or more googling/research. Thanks for trying to help out.
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Digitech RP70

"We'll do it live"
no problem.

from my model car building days, i remember a few things that you may encounter.

-do NOT mix lacquer with enamels, this can produce yellowing and awful finishes
-lacquers will typically take longer to cure
-get more than one color of primer, so when you're priming and you sand later you can tell how deep you've sanded in comparison to the rest of the body. it can help get things smooth
-assuming you're using a spray can, find a video of someone (a professional) painting a car, watch how he paints in horizontal sprays from the top down. going past the item he's painting.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Wait a minute...

How are you going to refinish a guitar with flash paper?
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.