Page 1 of 3
How did you learn guitar?

whats your guitar skill level?

How long have you been playing?

and any tips?
Self taught from UG and other sites on the net for about 2 months then I went on from there on my own.
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Quote by guitarguy1774

and any tips?

I played self taught for the first year but I've been taking lessons for the past six months.

I horribly suck at playing guitar and understanding music.

About eighteen months I think.

I can't give you very much advice since I don't know what I'm talking about
Quote by guitarguy1774

Teacher for four years, self taught afterwards.

Quote by guitarguy1774

Suck.

Quote by guitarguy1774

Six or seven years.

Quote by guitarguy1774
and any tips?

I'm not giving you money. Get a job.
I have/had a teacher, and I use the internet to look up new stuff on whatever i think might help. I've been playing 3 and a half years and I'd say I was alright, as far as guitarists of 3 and a half years go >.>

Tips? I dunno. I'd try and learn about as many different kinds of music as possible. I wish I did more of that when I was starting.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
self-taught/some lessons

3/10 i know power chords!

3 years. 1st doesnt actually count cuz i never learned anything till my 2nd year

tips? godspeed my friend
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Had lessons for maybe 8-9 months, but self-taught the rest of the time.

I would say I'm intermediate to advanced. I can't play MAB stuff, but I can pretty much play anything I want to learn.

4 years

LEARN OTHER PEOPLE'S SONGS. So many people refuse to learn other people's material and they never get anywhere. The key to getting better IMHO is discovering things you wouldn't have learned on your own.
Check out my band Disturbed
I picked up a guitar because my uncle plays and I thought it would be cool. I've been playing for about 8 years now, but my skill level isn't as high as it should be for playing for that long
I don't have a sig. Or an avatar.
Quote by guitarguy1774
Highly doughtful

More like highly probable, it really happened!
I strummed it until something good came out.

Maximum for this class at this level.

About seven years.

and any tips?
Wash your hands.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by :Vicious--
self-taught/some lessons

3/10 i know power chords!

3 years. 1st doesnt actually count cuz i never learned anything till my 2nd year

tips? godspeed my friend

thanks!
Quote by StewieSwan
Had lessons for maybe 8-9 months, but self-taught the rest of the time.

I would say I'm intermediate to advanced. I can't play MAB stuff, but I can pretty much play anything I want to learn.

4 years

LEARN OTHER PEOPLE'S SONGS. So many people refuse to learn other people's material and they never get anywhere. The key to getting better IMHO is discovering things you wouldn't have learned on your own.

very true
Quote by lordofthefood1
I strummed it until something good came out.

Maximum for this class at this level.

About seven years.

and any tips?
Wash your hands.

naw the tougher and dirtyer my hands are the better for guitar
Quote by guitarguy1774
naw the tougher and dirtyer my hands are the better for guitar

Please use the edit button to make additional replies. Double/triple posting is against the rules around here.
Check out my band Disturbed
Just bought one and had fun with tabs
skill level?intermediateish my playing is good but theory could be better
playing 3 years
tips?for practical stuff like alternative picking,sweep picking,vibrato ect i just practice until perfection and use a metronome lol for theory just try to slowly apply it to your playing..practice makes perfect
Self taught for a year, lessons for six months, and the rest has been self taught because I hate lessons

Shit/10 I was getting good at one point, then I took a 3 month hiatus and now my high E nut slot broke :/

Almost two years exactly

and any tips?
Think before you do something to your guitar (I have deep marks and drawings on mine because I thought it would look cool)
i started playing this crappy no name acoustic like 2 years ago and i've never looked back. I play mainly bass now but for both guitar and bass i would say im right where i should be. A good tip would be to always try to stay interested in playing try to be as open as possible to new kinds of music.
Quote by aRandomSandwich
Walk in on your first day cover in butter and flop your knob out on the managers desk, this will show confidence, and your boss like that in a man, he likes that a lot, he also likes his penis in a man... work hard now y'all...

Anyone got any good advice on how to keep motivation for getting better? I've been playing for about 8 years, but have become compliant with what skill I have. I mean I'm alright, but I have been losing desire to get better. Whenever I try to improve, I just get too frustrated and feel like I can't do any better =/
Self-taught, books, a few months of guitar lessons, then back to self-taught, then a guitar class at school, then self-taught again, and still failing at it.

I would not describe my level as a skilled one

Not sure, 3 - 5 years.

and any tips?
Be critical. Examine yourself, examine the music you listen to.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Self taught myself a shitload of Metallica songs for a year, then after that, looked up chords and scales.

Meh.

2 years or so

Learns scales and chords and string names in the beginning, it will save you a load of work.
I'm Italian, and my Dad teaches guitar. So it's kind of "the family business".

For a high-schooler, I'm pretty advanced. Which is a shame because I'm 43. (not really). I'm looking to major in jazz performance for college.

And I've been playing for around 10 years, about 7 of which I was/am a serious player.

My tip is to always listen to unfamiliar music. If you think you've hit a point where you're too good, you're not. You just need to listen and enjoy something more challenging.

Sold my soul to satan. Amateurs...

Let's just say I make Yngwie Malmsteem my bitch.

2 hours...

and any tips?

Don't sell your soul.

In all seriousness, about 7 years. Self taught with some minor lessons. I'm not that great of a technical player but I'm pretty good at writing songs and riffs. Solo's are a bit beyond me. Just switch it up to keep it from getting stale.
Quote by guitarguy1774

Google. Bought my guitar , went straight to google , learned to read tabs , play the basic stuff. Hit up youtube and just worked my ass off at it. The only bad thing is that I know about 0 music theory.

Quote by guitarguy1774

I'm what you call "good enough"
By no means will someone watch me play bass or guitar and walk away thinking "Damn that dude was sick". But I've played in lots of (semi successful) bands. Prob played a few hundred shows and had a lot of fun. I can play pretty much any song I want if I'm sit down and take the time to learn it. I can compose some pretty decent stuff and that's where I'm at. Still learning everyday

Quote by guitarguy1774

Almost 6 years , but no constantly. If you subtracted all the off time , probably 3 years

Quote by guitarguy1774
any tips?

Get money , **** bitches
How did you learn guitar? Self-taught, except for a few years of classical in college. I listened to my music so much that I memorized how it sounded before I ever picked up the guitar; I'm talking, even mistakes and slight equipment failures (both of which existed before ProTools).

whats your guitar skill level? Comparitively, I get by. I play difficult solos while jumping around stage every week, but I'm not nearly as good as I'd like or ought to be. But, I DO make money at it, as if that tells you anything about somebody's playing!

How long have you been playing? Since January 25 1995. I still have the receipt! I should probably post it one of these days...

and any tips?
  • Listen to every tip that you're told, and if it makes no sense, or goes against your gut, throw it out.
  • Listen to your music deeply. Create images and stories from it and memorize every nook and cranny. When you begin anything with the end in mind, it make it so much easier.
  • Play what you want, even if you have to start learning and playing songs that suck in order to get paid.
  • Get a band together and play out. When you have people that expect you to throw down, you end up making yourself more ready. Funny how that works.
  • Play what you don't want. Broaden your horizons and learn techniques that you wouldn't normally aquire.
  • Play all the freakin' time. No watching tv, youtube, movies or anything else without your baby.
  • Watch awesome guitarists be awesome. See how they move their hands, except for Marty Friedman, that dude has a wonky right hand!
  • Play with every musician you meet and be humble enough to allow yourself to be schooled. Why let your ego in the way of getting better?

Quote by metalhead13
Anyone got any good advice on how to keep motivation for getting better? I've been playing for about 8 years, but have become compliant with what skill I have. I mean I'm alright, but I have been losing desire to get better. Whenever I try to improve, I just get too frustrated and feel like I can't do any better =/

That's a bad place to be in. One possible trick is to act like water and find the path of least resistance. Find some songs or pieces that are at and just above your ability and in the style you want. Don't go for something super crazy all the time. You'll surprise yourself.

Do some separate hand stuff (legato for left and difficult rhythms and string skipping for the right), and chill out from doing a bunch of exercises all of the time; they're very good for you but can destroy the soul, just like never eating junk food. And never underestimate the power of improvising to backing tracks; everybody sucks at first, but you'll find ways to sound good, or at least cool.

And watch Marty Friedman's Melodic Control!

Let me know if some of these tips help! I like to check up and make sure my people are making progress.
I taught myself
My friends say im "awesome" but i consider my self average
5 years this christmas
listen to your favourite album and figure it out by ear
http://www.youtube.com/user/charliegray12212

check out my youtube channel for guitar covers.

Quote by Radman_Paiza
I saw it with my dudefriend. But I'm totally not gay, because I have a girlfriend. She's imaginary, but atleast I have one.
How did you learn guitar? About 10 Lessons then used to jam along with songs I liked on cassette tapes in my bedroom. Rather than learning the exact guitar parts on the tapes. I enjoyed making up parts which would fit in with the song.

People seem impressed when I play I suppose.

How long have you been playing? 20 years

and any tips? Learn to jam. It's the best fun and the things that happen are amazing sometimes. So play with other musicians whenever possible.
How did you learn guitar? Self thaugh, had a bass teacher though, and am starting taking lessons this fall.

whats your guitar skill level? Half decent, far better at bass though.

How long have you been playing? 2 years.

and any tips? Write. A lot. It will help you become a better musician. Also, learn to jam.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by guitarguy1774

and any tips?

Had 2 guitar teacher at once (one was supplied by the school for workshop thingys, i took the oppourtunity ), and also greatly self taught after that.

Personally, I don't think I am very good, sometimes i can play really well, sometimes i just lose it, but my teacher says I'm intermediate. I think Im better at rhythm...idk

4 years.

tip(s); learn to economy pick, if you like metal, and if you like blues (mainly texas style), learn crosspicking scales/hybrid picking.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jul 25, 2010,
I didn't

Since I am a theory nerd I can still outplay the majority of folks I know. If I can't I'll babble technical terms at them until they feel bad.

7 or 8 years

and any tips?
Respect the bassist. If you don't, you only end up coming across as an ignorant fool and not a musician.
Quote by Trevor_Hamer

and any tips?
  • Listen to every tip that you're told, and if it makes no sense, or goes against your gut, throw it out.
  • Listen to your music deeply. Create images and stories from it and memorize every nook and cranny. When you begin anything with the end in mind, it make it so much easier.
  • Play what you want, even if you have to start learning and playing songs that suck in order to get paid.
  • Get a band together and play out. When you have people that expect you to throw down, you end up making yourself more ready. Funny how that works.
  • Play what you don't want. Broaden your horizons and learn techniques that you wouldn't normally aquire.
  • Play all the freakin' time. No watching tv, youtube, movies or anything else without your baby.
  • Watch awesome guitarists be awesome. See how they move their hands, except for Marty Friedman, that dude has a wonky right hand!
  • Play with every musician you meet and be humble enough to allow yourself to be schooled. Why let your ego in the way of getting better?

That's a bad place to be in. One possible trick is to act like water and find the path of least resistance. Find some songs or pieces that are at and just above your ability and in the style you want. Don't go for something super crazy all the time. You'll surprise yourself.

Do some separate hand stuff (legato for left and difficult rhythms and string skipping for the right), and chill out from doing a bunch of exercises all of the time; they're very good for you but can destroy the soul, just like never eating junk food. And never underestimate the power of improvising to backing tracks; everybody sucks at first, but you'll find ways to sound good, or at least cool.

And watch Marty Friedman's Melodic Control!

Let me know if some of these tips help! I like to check up and make sure my people are making progress.

I guess it's just that I haven't had lessons in about 4 years or so and don't really know where to go. Help would be appreciated
Went to the pawn shop, got a $100 Peavey Raptor +, a little Stone amp and an Ernie Ball beginner's book.

I would say somewhere between Novice/Intermediate

I've been playing off and on for a little over 7 years now I should be better than I am but I have not practiced nearly enough over that time period.

Best advice: Play with others, even if it's just casually.
I originally have always wanted a drum kit but due to problems with money and space, my dad suggested I just get a guitar, so I did.
Self taught/4 or 5 lessons for basics
Been playing for about a year
Skill Level? I suck.

For a tip, i'd suggest playing infront of people often, this can be parents, siblings, relatives, friends etc. I never did this and I absolutely loathe it when i'm asked by someone to play them something, it's like my mind goes blank.
Page 1 of 3