I've recently decided that a Blackstar HT-40 is the amp for me, but it lacks one feature that i will require from an amp: searing metal distortion. I love literally everything else about this amp, and i am buying it for sure, but i will need some kind of boost to give me that extra push into Metal Heaven. Any suggestions? I thought about buying one of Blackstar's tube pedals, but didn't know if i should go with just a clean boost or a full on distortion with a cascading gain circuit. I want to get a nice tight distortion tone that will get me somewhere around Killswitch Engage, Bullet for My Valentine, Pantera, Slipknot, Dethklok type tone. One thing that i didn't think was too great was the price of the Blackstar pedals (around $200). I don't really want to spend that much on a pedal, but if i need to, then i will. Also, i want a pedal that can give me a slight boost for solos. This doesn't have to be the same pedal (aka i am willing to buy 2 separate pedals) but if i can use one pedal for both situations, that would be great. I don't think i'll really need both boosts at the same time, but if i would i could always buy a second pedal. Thanks for any advice you can give

PS: I am not going to buy a different amp, so please don't waste your time and my time suggesting a different amp for me.
Just buy an overdrive pedal. It generally doesn't take much to push those tubes for that kind of gain. I've never really heard that amp, but it might do good enough with just a clean boost. Take it to a local music store and try different things. That's the way I bought my latest guitar.
A tubescreamer is good but it does colour the sound a bit even as a clean boost. It has poor bass response. That is a bonus for some of the br00tz guys but for myself (mainly blues, rock and punk) I prefer to mod them, I like the Keeley mods.
In many ways a good EQ pedal is better, like an MXR 10 band, because you can run it as flat or contoured as you like and still get a decent boost.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So with the EQ pedal i would still be getting a boost? I might look more into that. Also, if it helps any, this amp will go up to about a Metallica-Black-Album Heavy on it's own. One of my main concerns is that the pedal preserves my tone. If i use the EQ can it be switched on and off or should i get a separate pedal for a solo boost?
For a solo boost, an EQ is the best thing as it actually boosts your overall level. One thing an EQ can't do very well, though, is boost pre gain, in my opinion.

If you want a gain boost get a Bad Monkey or Danelectro Transparent OD. An EQ will do you well for tone shaping and solo boosting, to give you more volume...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Running the 10 band MXR out front is the go; the 6 band one doesn't have a master volume so you have to lift each band. With the 10 you can just leave it set how you like it and just crank the overall level. Much better idea.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the blackstar ht-40 should have enough gain for u.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RsJB9yZjYo&feature=related

first get the amp. see if it has enough gain for u. if u want a bit more, get a Ibanez TS9 or a Digitech hardwire cm-2.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I hear tube screamers work well for that sort of application, but I can't tell you which one would be best.

If you look into more basic boost pedals, the ZVex SHO is a good pedal. It's expensive though, so you might want to make one yourself (assuming you're any good with soldering irons). If the HT-40 is anything like my HT-5H it won't need much of a boost.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
It sounds like an MXR 10 band is the way to go. I might just get two and use one as a solo boost and one as an overdrive boost. I'll have to try it and see though. I have PLAYED the amp and i know it doesn't get heavy enough for exactly what i want. That was using my guitar, not some other guitar with hotter or less hot pickups. The amp nails every sound i want except for the heaviest tones i seek. It just doesn't quite nail the sound i'm looking for when i play heavier stuff. However, if i take it home and discover, after playing with the controls a bit more, that it DOES get heavy enough, I'll still want a solo boost. So, if i buy just one for now until i've played with the amp a bit more, i still won't be out any money.
Rather than starting my own thread, I thought I would ask here...

I have an Egnater Tweaker and I use a Bad Monkey to boost it, but its not as tight as I would like yet. I also have a GE-7 EQ in the LOOP of my amp. Should I pop that sucker in front of the amp and after the OD to help?

Thanks!
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
I checked out EQ pedals on Guitar Center's website and MXR has the Regular 10 band EQ and a Kerry King 10 Band that has dual outputs. Should i go for the KK one (it's only $20 more) or stick with the original? Would it have a different overall EQ style or is the difference really just the dual outputs?
I think the KK EQ and Regular 10 band are the same. I watched a video on each of them on youtube and each video was by dunlop and they were the exact same except for differences in appearance and name where the actual pedal was concerned. Basically, with the KK EQ you can get a stereo effect without using a stereo chorus pedal.