ok, so i'm looking for a new amp.
i play an Epiphone Dot - mostly classic stuff - led zep, the beatles, acdc, etc. but also a lot of blues, so tube amps appeal to me.
i need something for under US$895.
here's what i'm currently considering.

Vox VT50 Valvetronix.
AU$679 (about US$608).
tube amp.
50 watt. (i don't regularly gig and would need it just for practice and jamming, so i doubt i'd need anything more.) http://www.cranbournemusic.com.au/cstore/935042000140.html

Fender Frontman 212.
AU$519 (about US$465).
solid state, and therefore i'm not as keen on it.
100w, which is the main reason i'm attracted to it. i doubt i'll go for it though, because as i previously said i don't regularly gig.
http://www.cranbournemusic.com.au/cstore/930016014970.html

so my questions are:
1. is it worth the extra cash for a tube amp, if i'd prefer a vintage tone?
2. would it really be worth buying a cheaper solid state if it gives more volume?
3. in my situation which amp would you reccommend?
and 4. would i be better off putting more cash towards a Head+Cab, such as the Orange Tiny Terror?
2009 Epiphone Dot Natural
Vox VT100 Valvetronix
I would recommend getting a combo as it'll be easier to take places if you're jamming and its cheaper than a head and cab
although the Vox night train fits your budget pretty nicely: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Night-Train-NT15HV112NT-Half-Stack?sku=485159&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=404650686
It has pretty good classic rock tone and I've heard it do jazz well but I've never heard anyone play blues on it before
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
And yes for the tone its better to go for a tube amp
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
The vox is not a tube amp. It's hybrid, meaning it has a tube in the preamp
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
haha thanks for the correction sammo_boi and for the reccommendation DaMarsbarPerson.

unfortunatly i live in Australia, the land of ridiculously overpriced guitars and amps. just the head for the Vox Night Train will set me back about US$650..
Vox VT100 Valvetronix
I hear you man, I went through the same trouble. If you look used things sometimes pop up. Maybe a used bugera or something.

Vox Night Train or Blackstar HT-5 would suit you very well. Used you'll find them at a good price. Remember the retail price is always more than the stores will make you pay.
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Last edited by sammo_boi at Jul 25, 2010,
mmm, like 9/10 amps on eBay are from online music sites, and they're all like $100 more expensive than at any music shops :P and the occasional one that's an actual seller is still quite expensive.

then of course it comes up with lots of very well-priced amps in america, which won't ship to Aus haha.
Vox VT100 Valvetronix
Laney 10 watt 'cub' tube amp retails about $500 australian, and agreed our stuff is way over priced. See how much it would be to import a harley benton, tried one of those the other day, pretty cool amp, go for about 85 euro I think.
haha k i'll check it out.
Vox VT100 Valvetronix
Your requirements are a bit wide-ranging. If you can find one, a Hiwatt Maxwatt 100 would certainly do all you want pretty well. Its SS non-modeling and 100w will be enough for jamming, gigging etc. But being SS will turn down for home use with little or no loss of quality. Its light enough to haul around, too.
Price in UK is around £260 so well within budget - if you can find one. I don't think I've ever seen one offered used which may be an indication of quality. There is a 200w version but your needs will be well covered by the 100w.
BTW the VT50 is a hybrid amp, not an all-tube model. It has one tube in the power amp stage.
In real tube amps, again if you can find one, I'd certainly go for the Hiwatt HG50 combo. I think you can ask a Hiwatt dealer to get one in for you and I think you'd be delighted with what it can do. But it will be close to the top of your budget. Oh and being 2x12 its not the lightest box around, though not like a Twin Reverb arm-stretcher.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

the Tiny Terror was another one i looked at, although in Australia the combo costs roughly $950, and the Head+Cab's even more. and it's only about 30w..
Vox VT100 Valvetronix
Try out a Peavey Classic 30. You don't get sweeter than that for your sorta music.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Peavey Classic 30 - $1300 in Australia
Vox VT100 Valvetronix
I haggled my HRD down to 1100, so i'm pretty sure you can get a classic 30 for under 1000
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Quote by JMF3
Peavey Classic 30 - $1300 in Australia

here
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Last edited by sammo_boi at Jul 25, 2010,
haha nice, thanks.
Vox VT100 Valvetronix
Quote by JMF3
haha nice, thanks.

The Classic 30 is an amp that even the legends can't replace, despite all the resources they have.

If you get it, don't use faaaaaar too many pedals with it. The beautiful cleans and creamy drive can get sapped out a bit. Limit to like, 7, okay :P
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
DONT get the Fender frontman. The cleans are ok but the drive is all buzzy and trebley.

get the Vox VT50, or the Peavey classic 30.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt