What do you think? I want to get a better Vintage tone from my Tele, these budget pickups can help me a lot. But what brand do you prefer and why?
GFS are easier to come by in USA, Irongear in Europe. Irongear are a little cheaper.
Just looking at the GFS website, those Neovin pups should be pretty good, though I have never heard a complaint about the Irongear in terms of vintage sound. If price is not a problem, I'd have a go with the GFS in US.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

GFS vintage style singles are better than the Irongear vintage style singles.

Humbuckers are about the same quality, however, it's easier to know what you are actually going to get with irion gear. When Iron Gear says it's a PAF style pickup them it's specs will reflect the specs of a paf. When GFS says it's a paf style pickup it could very well be 16K beast advertised as a PAF style pickup simply because it's got an alnico magnet. This is why many people have been so much happier with Irongear... it's because they can read the descriptions on iron gear and then actually get a pickup that resembles the sound that was described.

If I were going to buy a "budget" pickup I'd get something from tonerider. They use higher quality parts and stick a bit closer to vintage specs than Irongear or GFS so they cost a little more, but they are still made in asia so they cost less than name brands like Duncan. I think they are just as good as most name brand pickups too.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 25, 2010,
European guy here. I liked the tonerider pickups but they're a little bit expensive for me. Irongear ftw
Quote by Lurcher
GFS are easier to come by in USA, Irongear in Europe. Irongear are a little cheaper.
Just looking at the GFS website, those Neovin pups should be pretty good, though I have never heard a complaint about the Irongear in terms of vintage sound. If price is not a problem, I'd have a go with the GFS in US.

I've got a Neovin Overwound in my Esquire build. It's AMAZING! They say it's not good for a vintage sound and technically that's true to a point- it's got crazy high output. Still, if you paly it right, getting "classic" Tele clean tones can be done without trying, but it really shines with a bit more dirt (not distortion).
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden