Is it important just how tight you hold your pick? What is it an advantage and is it necessary?

-GG
real men use their penis

(wrong section, brah)
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
It's a balancing act, too tight and you're just as likely to slip and drop it as you are holding it too lightly.

Also go to the technique forum next time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Hold it tight for more power over it and you can pick harder and faster,but not too tight.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Loosely held pick = weaker strike resulting in a softer strum, you get a clearer sound but less sustain. Also if your fingers get sweaty the pick can slip.

Tightly held pick = Sharper attack on your strings resulting in more gain and longer sustain, but less clear. Less chance of pick slippage.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
Loosely held pick = weaker strike resulting in a softer strum, you get a clearer sound but less sustain. Also if your fingers get sweaty the pick can slip.

Tightly held pick = Sharper attack on your strings resulting in more gain and longer sustain, but less clear. Less chance of pick slippage.

Also if you hold tighter you get tired faster right?Or am I wrong?
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Also if you hold tighter you get tired faster right?Or am I wrong?

Depends. If you train yourself holding it tightly but not too tight, not crushing the pick, you'll adjust and adapt and your fingers won't get tired. My arm and wrist do but fingers don't, and I have a very firm grip. Squeeze it and you'll tire easily, but hold it firm if you want a sharp attack.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
Depends. If you train yourself holding it tightly but not too tight, not crushing the pick, you'll adjust and adapt and your fingers won't get tired. My arm and wrist do but fingers don't, and I have a very firm grip. Squeeze it and you'll tire easily, but hold it firm if you want a sharp attack.

I think I'm not holding mine too tight,when I play my pick just tilts over a couple of degrees and is not 90 degrees with the string,hard to fix that Ive been trying for weeks.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
I just pick however it's comfortable, I might change my picking style several times throughout a song. Sometimes I even use the non sharp end of the pick for some parts.
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
I think I'm not holding mine too tight,when I play my pick just tilts over a couple of degrees and is not 90 degrees with the string,hard to fix that Ive been trying for weeks.

Best way to do it, start palm-mute open chord chugging. Don't worry about what you're playing, aim for consistency and attack. Metal is one quarter taps, three quarters picking. Use your fingers to move the pick, not your wrist. Alternate moving your thumb and forefinger back and forth. Easiest way for me.

And by the way, don't need a 90 degree angle. Just need to be comfortable and have a solid attack rather than a scratchy scrape before each note.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
Metal is one quarter taps, three quarters picking.

Wut?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It's a personal preference. Sometimes you need to adjust it depending on what you're playing.

Some people will hold it lightly when playing fast picking licks, because that way there's less resistance to the picking motion. Others prefer to "dig in" to get a stronger attack. You can also use it to vary your dynamics.
There's no right or wrong way to do it, apart from the extreme cases. Don't drop your pick, but don't squeeze the hell out of it either. That causes your hand and maybe even your whole forearm to become tense. You'll get tired quickly.
Between the thumb and the side of my index with enough pressure for it to move a little when strumming, but not enough when picking. Also been experimenting with picking and finger picking a the same time.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I hold my pick looser the higher on the guitar I go, but most of the time I don't play guitar, I play bass with my fingers so it's not really an issue.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Don't think it's the most important thing to think about.
"I want a drink"

"You always want something. In Tibet, if they want something...they give something away"

"Do they? That must be why they are such a dominant global power"

Brought to you by Graham Linehan and Dylan Moran
You need to pick the string with a loose pinch because tension will build; your muscles will not ingrain the feeling when it is tense