So yeah, I'm a fairly newb guitarist, I've been saving up money lately and there's this annual sale at this music store in my city where a wide range of guitars/amps are cut down to almost half price (15 still living at home low paying job if it helps). I will have about 700 - 800 dollars by the time this sale is on, and I'm wondering whether I should buy a new guitar or a new amp.

My current guitar came in a washburn lyon starter pack, and my amp is a cheap 20 watt Kustom solid state amp (I play using a Zoom G1X effects pedal which helps the sound alot but it still doesnt sound dazzling but what can you expect )

But back to the point, would a better amp improve my sound alot more or would a new guitar improve the sound? (I play mostly heavy metal/death metal if this helps).
Amp, but only if you like the way your guitar plays. If it doesnt feel good, guitar is more important IMO.
Alright well my electric is absolutely horrible to play compared to some of the guitars I've played at the music store.

Thanks
if u split the money in half u can get a decent guitar and amp.

what brand guitars and amps can u get in ur music store?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
For beginners a better guitar can improve the learning process, but if you really just want to improve your tone buying a new amp would make more sense.
Quote by holycow
if u split the money in half u can get a decent guitar and amp.

what brand guitars and amps can u get in ur music store?

Pretty much anything, Deans, Fenders, ESPs (and ESP LTDs) etc.

EDIT: There are lower end guitars aswell (I think)
Last edited by MrpopoAwwyea at Jul 25, 2010,
what type of music do u play?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Tone is all in the fingers... no but seriously, if your don't like your guitar get a new one. It will improve your tone and help you play better
Quote by holycow
what type of music do u play?

Mostly anything heavy metal to death metal.
Quote by BabyWantABottle
Tone is all in the fingers... no but seriously, if your don't like your guitar get a new one. It will improve your tone and help you play better

Most of the tone is in the amp,if you want better sound get an amp,if you cant play with the guitar you have(not comfortable) get a new guitar,that's what I'd do anyways.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Righteo it seems pretty conclusive that I should get a new guitar and afterwards a new amp if I can rack up the money.

Thanks for you help everyone!
Tonewise, get a new amp. Unless your guitar is absolutely horrible and can't be fixed up.
if your guitar sucks to play, get a new guitar

a new amp doesn't mean shit if you cant play through it properly.
post-punksymphonicblackeneddeathcore
Quote by Jackamedmos
that mh-350 is sexy as hell, no stupid binding either!

i played that guitar yesterday

yummy
post-punksymphonicblackeneddeathcore
This is all the guitar you will need for playing metal..

That's an awesome deal, especially as it has reall EMG's in it!
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.