pic 1, pic 2

Guys,

I got to restore the back of my guitar, but I'm not sure what it should look like on the inside? I'm not sure what those wooden bars spread across the inside are called, but I know they're there for tone, so I want to get this right. I was actually able to save these bars but I do not know where they were located. Also, since the guitar was kind of cheap (i'm doing this for learning purposes), would it hurt to just use plywood?

Thanks!
those bars going in the inside are support bars too.

just use the right wood and get it done IMO.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by petmyhat
pic 1, pic 2

Guys,

I got to restore the back of my guitar, but I'm not sure what it should look like on the inside? I'm not sure what those wooden bars spread across the inside are called, but I know they're there for tone, so I want to get this right. I was actually able to save these bars but I do not know where they were located. Also, since the guitar was kind of cheap (i'm doing this for learning purposes), would it hurt to just use plywood?

Thanks!

You could use Ply for the back (try and use good ply) but ideally use a white softwood (pine) for the bracing.

If you look at the slotted wood around the inside of your guitar, there may be some gaps where the end of the bracing used to go.

The bit down the middle in the pic, is a support for a two piece back, yours wont need it as it will be one piece.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jul 25, 2010,
Another question... does the bracing really have to touch the sides? It's such a pain in the ass to repair an acoustic, especially when the little bits the back should rest on are ruined because of the glue they used... basicly had to put a screw driver in between the wood and the little rests, and then hit it with a hammer and pull it up, so yeah none of those little pieces of wood where it used to rest on is flat... I messed up lol but sanding helps... but it's going to be such a pain in the ass.
Are the 'little rests' you're talking about the kerfing? The braces are there for structural support, they should be very close to the sides, but I don't think they need to be touching.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA