Is there a section on here just for tubes because i cant find it? Oh well. My tube amp currently has EL34's in it and i heard that 6550's give the best headroom, aggressive tone and clean distortion. Is that true?
Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: Mike Mushok Baritone w/BKP Juggernaut's
Ibanez: RG321MH

Alvarez: MD-60C
Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Modded 2004 XTC 101B Module
Stock Treadplate Module
you have a randall rm100...6550's would be a great option. i have some in my rm80 and my amp hasn't sounded better. they give it a much fuller sound. i guess they can be considered more aggressive. but they do sound incredible. Ruby 6550C's is what you need to get...got to dougstubes.com. Remember bias is b/t 40-42 mV i believe. Also get a JAN Phillips 5751 for the phase inverter if you haven't alreadyl...it will get rid of a LOT of the noise.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Hm alright great then. Yeah i think the book has all biasing options for all of the tubes available i have my EL34's set to 39. and wheres the phase inverter??? Thats something i dont know of.
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
preamp tube closest to the power tubes.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 25, 2010,
Ohhh alright. Well i would probably have to open up the back to see where they are and im too lazy to do that haha. Where are the stock phase inverters on the MTS series? I dont see them in the back, they wouldnt be the 2 preamp tubes in the modules would they?
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Last edited by IbanezRG2EX1 at Jul 25, 2010,
6550's will give you far more headroom than EL34's. They'll also give you much more low end extension. However, they won't have as pronounced mids as EL34's.

SED "Winged C" 6550's are the best sounding new production 6550's I have tried. Some 6550's can be shrill in the treble freq's, but the SED's are very smooth. They are the same as the older (pre-2002 I believe) Svetlana 6550's.
Quote by CECamps
6550's will give you far more headroom than EL34's. They'll also give you much more low end extension. However, they won't have as pronounced mids as EL34's.

SED "Winged C" 6550's are the best sounding new production 6550's I have tried. Some 6550's can be shrill in the treble freq's, but the SED's are very smooth. They are the same as the older (pre-2002 I believe) Svetlana 6550's.

Okay, well i might put a combination of tubes in, i might do 6550's and keep my EL34's or find a replacement of some sort for my current ones. How are the rubys compared to the SED as the other guy mentioned before?
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Quote by IbanezRG2EX1
Okay, well i might put a combination of tubes in, i might do 6550's and keep my EL34's or find a replacement of some sort for my current ones. How are the rubys compared to the SED as the other guy mentioned before?

The Rubys aren't bad, but they can be a little harsh in the high end when pushed. I feel the SED's are just a very well balanced tube. You really can't beat them as far as new production. Not even the Gold Lion reissues.
Quote by IbanezRG2EX1
Ohhh alright. Well i would probably have to open up the back to see where they are and im too lazy to do that haha. Where are the stock phase inverters on the MTS series? I dont see them in the back, they wouldnt be the 2 preamp tubes in the modules would they?

not in the module. there is one close to the input of the amp...that is the V1. then there is one near the fx loop...which is the fx loop buffer. the one that is closest to the power tubes is the phase inverter.
--Einstein

--Einstein
They have metal coverings on them. Push down and twist to take them off. Then the closest one to the power tubes is the one your be replacing for the 5751. I have an RM100 as well

5751s in the v1 in the modules are pure awesome too. Noise is cut down to -100000.

Nah but it really cut a ton of noise back and they sound great as well.

Edit: Just note that you should only get the Jan 5751. The Sovteks really aren't that great :/
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by CECamps
The Rubys aren't bad, but they can be a little harsh in the high end when pushed. I feel the SED's are just a very well balanced tube. You really can't beat them as far as new production. Not even the Gold Lion reissues.

Hm.. alright then.

Quote by JKMV11
not in the module. there is one close to the input of the amp...that is the V1. then there is one near the fx loop...which is the fx loop buffer. the one that is closest to the power tubes is the phase inverter.

OHH! I see them now haha. They are silver, I had no idea those were tubes. The phase inverter is right under the cab extension and speaker input also, alright.

Quote by kylendm
They have metal coverings on them. Push down and twist to take them off. Then the closest one to the power tubes is the one your be replacing for the 5751. I have an RM100 as well

5751s in the v1 in the modules are pure awesome too. Noise is cut down to -100000.

Nah but it really cut a ton of noise back and they sound great as well.

Edit: Just note that you should only get the Jan 5751. The Sovteks really aren't that great :/

Yeah yeah i see them. thanks haha. I will probably buy them when i go for my tube change in a year or so.
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Last edited by IbanezRG2EX1 at Jul 25, 2010,
Just a side note (not trying to steal the thread), how do 6550's compared to 6L6's?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
6550s are basically a bigger version of 6L6s. Just thing 6L6 but more head room and maybe a tad more low end. Mid range will be very similar.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X