first of all im new to the forums) and im still a beginner so far after 1 year i can do master of puppets solo as my hardest haha if u have any tips plz do tell i mean like shred and sweep anyways i need help in customizing my strat i mean i just want to know what pickups should i put to have a nice rock/metal sound and wat strings should i get that will make it sound awesome into a vox vt30 coz right now im using the pickups when i bought it and ernie ball strings tnx in advance
for the pickups you can take at the bridge the seymour duncan jb or invader...they have both a nice tone for rock and metal...at the neck you can take the jazz or the '59 a from seymour duncan again... but take them in the version of mini-humbucker for your strat
The Seymour Duncan Hotrails seem like a good fit for you. Also, being it a Mexican strat, the next opportunity you can to change your saddles, nut, and tuners, do so. You'll drastically reduce string breakage and bad tuning.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
im a beginner so what do you mean by saddles and nut?? sry to ask but i really dont know
metalmanica\m/
PLEASE, do not go changing pickups, tuners, saddles, etc. Start learning the instrument first. What MIM strat do you have? What pickups does it have?
My suggestion would be take YOUR guitar to the local music shop and play through some distortion pedals and find a tone close to what you are looking for. Look on the internet and find different settings for YOUR amp. (THEY ARE EVERYWHERE) When you start taking everyones advice as to what pickups, tuners, etc to put in your guitar you will sink a ton of money into your rig. Typical prices for a good bridge, tuners, pickups, nut you are looking at$500. With what your guitar is worth/paid for you should now have around $1000-$1400. Now what type guitar can you get for that price?
Experiment with pedals before diving into mods. Some pedals are as cheap as $39.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Last edited by JohnnyNash at Jul 25, 2010,
On another subject if you DO change the bridge, tuners, nut, pickups are you doing it yourself? That is not something easy to do without any knowledge of how the guitar works. Hope I am not sounding mean or blunt but just trying to save you some money and having your guitar "down" where you can't play. Please others jump in and let me know if I am right or wrong and I will shutup.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by edumico1234
first of all im new to the forums) and im still a beginner so far after 1 year i can do master of puppets solo as my hardest haha if u have any tips plz do tell i mean like shred and sweep anyways i need help in customizing my strat i mean i just want to know what pickups should i put to have a nice rock/metal sound and wat strings should i get that will make it sound awesome into a vox vt30 coz right now im using the pickups when i bought it and ernie ball strings tnx in advance

is this a 3 single coil guitar?

you'll do well to place a full sized humbucker in the bridge.

not a railed or stacked pup. but a full sized pickup.

you'll need a new pickguard, but in most cases a full sized humbucker will fit in a MIM strat and will drastically change the tone of that guitar.

as for which humbucker?

you'll want to go to different websites ans check out clips.

^you're wrong. he's been playing a year, and other than his amp, or in some cases a pedal, swapping from a single coil (if that's what he's using) to a humbucker is the simplest and cheapest way to greatly change the tonal attributes of his guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 25, 2010,
Don't forget to mention that if his MIM only has single coil cutouts then he will have to either cut it himself or have woodwork done. Again it goes back to the amp and pedals to find a tone close to what he is looking for. A good pikguard will run you $25-$45. Now your approaching $150 and haven't even installed it yet.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by JohnnyNash
Don't forget to mention that if his MIM only has single coil cutouts then he will have to either cut it himself or have woodwork done. Again it goes back to the amp and pedals to find a tone close to what he is looking for. A good pikguard will run you $25-$45. Now your approaching $150 and haven't even installed it yet.

it's a $400 guitar.
spending a little more to make it a forever guitar is smart.

what's he supposed to do, put it in a closet?

wiring a pup is easy enough. pickguards are about $25 shipped, and humbuckers are about $50-100. much less if you get a used one.

it's pretty easy and common mod.
if you bought a single coil guitar and find you mostly play metal, why wouldn't you rectify that?

my mim strat is still one of my fav guitars.
very versatile because if the mods i did years, and years ago.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011