Hey guys, does anyone know howmuch it costs to let someone change your pickups? Also, is there any chance this might damage your guitar? (Lets assume the guy has done it a lot ofcourse)

Now, the main question
I understand pickups are totally subjectif, but still, there are so many pickups i could use some suggestions to start looking

Basically, I'll play a lot of clean parts (with effects from pedals, if that's important for pickup choice) and equal amount of (heavy) distorted parts
(Sort of mix between post-rock, sludge and doom metal)

Also, It might be a good choice to have 2 differnent pickups for distorted parts? (Rhythm and lead parts) But I dont think the pick up for clean parts wont do well for distorted stuff so i need 3 different pickups? >>I thought most guitars only have 2 ?:p (this must be a newb question )

Thanks!!!
Well first things first, what kind of guitar are you replacing the pickups in? Strat? Tele? LP? Ibanez? And what amp will you be playing this through?

As for the price, it depends on how much the actual pups are and then how much the tech charges you to install them, and no it won't hurt your guitar changing them, worst case scenario they aren't properly installed and you have to take your guitar back apart to fix the problem.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Typical pickup changes with a minor setup should run you around $40-75. As far as what pickups, go to the pickups sites. Most have samples of the tones. Just a suggestion, I have several guitars I have built. Strats mostly, I have used Fender Custom shop 69's, I have used DiMarzio's (Breeds) Samples available. And I have used Toneriders, Samples available. You can "dirty" up the picups for a distorion with volume, Amp, and Pedals.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by offthewall91
Well first things first, what kind of guitar are you replacing the pickups in? Strat? Tele? LP? Ibanez? And what amp will you be playing this through?

Not sure, im havent decided what guitar yet
Amp, possibly ENGL powerball, something with nice gain so i dont need to use a dist pedal but it needs sweet cleans aswell (so most 'metal' amps people suggested here really fall out of the competition :p) But not sure yet

And yes! there are a lot of audio samples on the internet from different pickups, but listening to them all is like a 1000hour work? :P
So you haven't bought a guitar or amp yet? But have already decided you wish to change the pups?
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Yes, because the guitars im looking at got laame pickups!

And im also trying to count howmuch money this will all cost me (i want to go on holidays with friends so im counting all my spendings from this summer vacation, but thats more info than you need prolly :P)
Last edited by PinkTree at Jul 25, 2010,
Then buy a guitar with good pickups. Find something with EMGs or Seymour Duncans. (Im sure people will say EMGs suck, but they are wrong, they are great!)
well, i got told i should look for a guitar that feels well first (and good quality), and then change pickups if the sound is not yet what i'm looking for p

The guitars i was looking got 81/85 EMG's, EMG's are fine but (i think) they arent great at all to get sweet clean sounds!

But nvm, ill come back when i got the guitar Maybe it will be easier to sort it out :p