I've had an LTD KH-Ouija for a year now, and it's my first guitar with a Floyd Rose. Yesterday, I decided to restring it, because the old strings have greatly worn out. After finishing everything, I noticed that the action is higher than before, even higher than my Les Paul's, and there are fret buzz on A string from 14th fret upward. I used strings of the same gauge and the spring tension is correctly set up (bridge is parallel with the guitar's body). Now I just dont know how to adjust it as the action is so high now and yet there is still fret buzz, if I proceed to raise the bridge, the guitar will be unplayable and if I lower it, the fret buzz would be more severe.

It's my first time dealing with a Floyd so I need you guys help. I have read the sticky thread about Floyd Rose already but there is no information about this issue.

There are expert videos on Youtube on how to do Rose setups. Watch them and take notes. I am sure you will see what step you are missing. (stay away from people sitting on their bed showing you how to do it. Watxch the expert videos). If the bridge is higher then you have more string tension pulling the bridge. A Floyd setup takes alot of time if starting from scratch with no strings.

** Just reread your post and saw where it is the action higher. The bridge radius could be off. Check the radius of your neck and adjust the bridge to match. This should get it close. Then adjust the strings to what you are comfortable with.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Last edited by JohnnyNash at Jul 25, 2010,
fret the Low E first fret, at the same time,
fret the low E last fret, where the neck and body meet (around the 19th fret)

with both places held, look at the middle frets. 7-9th.

is the string laying on the fret wire there?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Thank you sir for your advices, but what exactly do you mean by "check the radius of your neck and adjust the bridge to match" ? I dont quite understand that part :P

Edit:

@jj1565: I just did exactly what you said, use a capo for 1st fret and my finger at 19th fret on the low E, the string doesn't rest on the fret at all in the middle of the neck, yet there are still fret buzz if I play a little harder than normal
Last edited by flyingblade at Jul 25, 2010,
^ Your fretboard has a curve to it, both length-wise and width-wise. The width-wise curve of the fretboard is expressed in "radius." A 7" radius fretboard will be rather round, while a 14" radius fretboard would be relatively flat. Your saddles should generally match the curve of your fretboard. If you google "fretboard radius," you should be able to find some pictures that would show you what the curve looks like for a particular measurement, and your guitar's manufacturer's website should have info on your particular fretboard radius.
Hi, I'm Peter
The bridge saddles height should have the same radius as your fretboard. If this is off your strings will be different height, uneven, too high, too low, causing buzz and hard to fret strings. When properly setup this will improve the tone and playability more than you will ever know

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
I've just checked, my guitar has a 13.77" fretboard radius, now what is the next step I should take ?
I honestrly would get a minor setup from a luthier. This will run you around $40-75. To adjust this you will raising/lowering your bridge saddles. This takes practice to get it right and on a Rose it is very frustrating if you have never done it. If you are going to try it yourself I suggest making a template out of hard plastic or cardboard. Cut it in the radius of yourfretboard and measure your saddle height. Then adjust. It would take many post to walk you through each step. You might try YouTube for some visual. Look for Adjust bridge radius or bridge setups

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by flyingblade
Thank you sir for your advices, but what exactly do you mean by "check the radius of your neck and adjust the bridge to match" ? I dont quite understand that part :P

Edit:

@jj1565: I just did exactly what you said, use a capo for 1st fret and my finger at 19th fret on the low E, the string doesn't rest on the fret at all in the middle of the neck, yet there are still fret buzz if I play a little harder than normal

if it's not on the fretwire, then can you fit a thin, or medium pick, or a credit card, in the gap there?

also, is the fret buzz transmitted thru the amp, or is it just an acoustic buzzing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I can fit a pick in it, and the buzz is slightly amplified to. I have to concentrate real hard to be able to hear it
ok, if it's a thin or med pick, yes you can add a little more relief.

turn the truss rod 1/8 turn counter clockwise.
use the correct sized allen wrench.
that's a very small amount.
don't force the turn, and let the guitar settle in tune.

post back later, let me know any changes or comments.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

thank you guys for your help

btw, I'm quite nervous when it comes to the truss rod as I'm noob in dealing with it. So I decide to bring the guitar to a local guitar store and have them look at it.

Anyway, can you tell me the string height suitable for shredding/speedy playing in milimiters ?? all I found is expressed in inches, with I had a hard time understanding
you can check out on manufacturers website. but seriously, it should be preference.

also, imo, you're wasting money taking it in, for a slight adjustment.

you're going to have to learn how to do these things eventually.

you REALLY need to be specific with this "tech" as well.
or they will set it up to their preferred settings.

also, because it's a floyd they might rake you over on the price and not even go near the bridge.

that's all worst case scenario. some local places are fine.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

thanks for the head up, but I think I can talk them into doing this for free for me

anyway, should I concern that much over fret buzz, as I'm sure someone here on UG said that every guitar has fret buzz, as soon as it plays fine, there's hardly any problem. Sure I'm very annoyed that the buzz is there, but it's not picked up through the amp but is it matter that much ?
Quote by flyingblade
thanks for the head up, but I think I can talk them into doing this for free for me

anyway, should I concern that much over fret buzz, as I'm sure someone here on UG said that every guitar has fret buzz, as soon as it plays fine, there's hardly any problem. Sure I'm very annoyed that the buzz is there, but it's not picked up through the amp but is it matter that much ?

buzz that does not transmit thru the amp is generally NOT considered a problem by musicians or techs.

a small amount of buzz thru the amp can usually be eliminated when the guitar is set up properly, unless there's a high or uneven fret, a low cut nut cut, ect...

should you be concerned by a little fret buzz? only if you play the guitar less because of it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

@jj1565:

Right now, my guitar is buzzing as the bass side, mostly on the A string and some on low E string, if I raise the bridge anymore, it would make playing very uncomfortable. I have no problem with the treble side though. By doing the relief test, apparently my guitar has a little to much bow to the bridge, evidently by I can almost stick another low E string under the retail gap at 7th or 9th fret. However, you confused me by saying that I should turn the truss rod counter-clockwise 1/8 turn (loosen the neck). In this case, shouldn't I tighten it by turning clockwise ?? As I've been googling on this matter and found that counter-clockwise turn is the solution when you have excessive backbow, not normal bow.

I'm restless over this matter and hope you can put some of your time into making this clear for my sake.
Proper neck relief is around .2-.3mm. The thickness of a playing card is .25mm and works great for initially setting the relief. If you can fit another low E string then you have WAY too much relief and need to tighten the truss (clockwise).