Ok pit I ned your guidence,
I'm starting a job on Monday, at Mcdonalds, and I am getting paid minimum wage (I'm in the UK) which is £4.83. My question is will I actually take home £4.83 or will they take away tax form that and if they do how much?
Otherinformation that might be aplicable: I'm 18 and a student.
You are free to do what we tell you.
Where I live they take it out of the total you make at the end of the week. So say you work 20 hours a week you multiply that by 4.83 and they will take the taxes out of that total. Assuming that's the jist of how it works out in the UK.

Oh and I don't know how much they would take out for. I don't know the rates out there.
Last edited by Trogdor1324 at Jul 25, 2010,
If you are in full time education then you won't get taxed on your earnings
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
You shouldn't get taxed, unless you are working full time (which I presume you are not, as you are a student)

You may get taxed though, but you can get that rebated. Something to do with a P46 (I am in the same boat after returning to Matalan for the summer)
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
That's all bollocks. You will get taxed if you work over 16 hours a week. The rate is 20%.

Jebus that's a high rate compared to where I live. Of course, as a student working on campus, my tax rate is nil But still, income tax isn't even 10% here.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
Jebus that's a high rate compared to where I live. Of course, as a student working on campus, my tax rate is nil But still, income tax isn't even 10% here.

That's terrible! 20% is just the basic rate, it goes up for higher earners.

And everyone is wrong, I got taxed whilst in full time education. You get taxed - whatever your education status - if you are working over 16 hours a week.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

And everyone is wrong, I got taxed whilst in full time education. You get taxed - whatever your education status - if you are working over 16 hours a week.

Maybe that's just you then, because I never did, and I'm still not. I left f/t college in June, and tax won't be deducted from me until the start of September. Same with free healthcare/dental plans etc. I get them until September because apparently that's when I leave f/t education.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Won;t he be paying NI as well?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Oh I was in university, not compulsory education. It's different if you're an adult

Oh, I didn't think you payed taxes in Uni either. Everyone I know that's not in student accommodation...like flats and whatnot aren't paying general council tax, or if they are, they get a rebate because they're a student. i have no idea lol
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Oh, I didn't think you payed taxes in Uni either. Everyone I know that's not in student accommodation...like flats and whatnot aren't paying general council tax, or if they are, they get a rebate because they're a student. i have no idea lol

I know

You don't pay council tax, but you do pay national insurance and income tax. When you work over 16 hours a week.
Quote by SkepsisMetal

I was charged income tax when I was workingwhen at uni. Council tax you don't have to pay- the uni provides a written waiver for it.

TS, you may well be charged emergency tax, which is at 40 something percent if your P46 isn't given in in time, but you do get that back minus the proper tax deducted, if at all. If you also don't earn over x amount in the year, you should also get a rebate, which normally comes in April or so.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Norway is worse. Trust me. If you earn above £4000/month, you'll be taxed the half of what you earn. Below that then it's about a third. However, if you earn less that £3000 a year, no taxes. (And student's part time jobs aren't very taxed either.)
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Finis
Ok pit I ned your guidence,
I'm starting a job on Monday, at Mcdonalds, and I am getting paid minimum wage (I'm in the UK) which is £4.83. My question is will I actually take home £4.83 or will they take away tax form that and if they do how much?
Otherinformation that might be aplicable: I'm 18 and a student.

You're probably below any tax threshold. I doubt you'll make £10,000 a year - the tax boundary.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by sfaune92
Norway is worse. Trust me. If you earn above £4000/month, you'll be taxed the half of what you earn. Below that then it's about a third. However, if you earn less that £3000 a year, no taxes. (And student's part time jobs aren't very taxed either.)

That's not worse, I see no problem with that at all.

I earnt £620 a month before tax each month through uni and I took home something like £560. It really isn't very much tax to pay, but you do pay it.

And £10,000 isn't the tax threshold yet. They are bringing that in next year. So he will still pay tax.
If you're over 18 and out of compulsory education, you'll get taxed if you work over 16 hours a week I believe, but if the total you earn is under £6475 over the tax year (April to April I think) then you'll get it all back next April.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
That's not worse, I see no problem with that at all.

I earnt £620 a month before tax each month through uni and I took home something like £560. It really isn't very much tax to pay, but you do pay it.

And £10,000 isn't the tax threshold yet. They are bringing that in next year. So he will still pay tax.

Your treshold is £10 000, while ours is £3000 (which even a student might earm more than for a part time job.) If you've been Norwegian, you would have less than 500 left of that.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by sfaune92
Your treshold is £10 000, while ours is £3000 (which even a student might earm more than for a part time job.) If you've been Norwegian, you would have less than 500 left of that.

nope. it's £6475 for this tax year, the Lib Dems are trying to raise it to £10,000 for next tax year though.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Not if you get paid cash in hand no questions asked

Pay's not great anyway though
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by sfaune92

If I was living in Norway I wouldn't need the job because my education wouldn't be financially crippling me.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If I was living in Norway I wouldn't need the job because my education wouldn't be financially crippling me.

Pffft, you're lucky. I was financially raped. In fact, that raping goes beyond this generation. It only becomes crippling once my great grandchildren are on the Earth.
As has been said, provided you work under this 16 hours a week bracket you can claim the income tax back. The missus has just done it and got a pretty penny back.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen