I want to know what you think of this. And who else is in the situation.

I'm at university just about to start my second year doing product design.
Yet I realise I DO NOT want to be stuck in that business when I'm older.

As much as I enjoy design, music is way further up than that on my priority list.
Infact on days when I am meant to be working, I just ignore the work and play guitar all day. Yes. ALL DAY.....

Haha.
I actually think my job list is like.

Famous Guitarist.
Play in a Famous Band.
Play in a lesser known band.
Play in an Orchestra.
Play for restaurant gigs/wedding gigs.
Be a guitar teacher.

and finally

Be a product designer....

Basically my degree is my back up, back up, back up, back up plan.

Anyone else care to rant about music careers???
Your degree will be your back up, back up, back up plan if and only if you manage to make a living out of music bro.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
The odds of making a successful, viable career out of music are abysmally low considering the number of people looking to do it. Sorry to be a downer, but that's how it is.
Everyone has dreams, but realistically they won't come true at all.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Lum

Famous Guitarist.
Play in a Famous Band.
Play in a lesser known band.
Play in an Orchestra.
Play for restaurant gigs/wedding gigs.
Be a guitar teacher.

and finally

Be a product designer....

Basically my degree is my back up, back up, back up, back up plan.

Anyone else care to rant about music careers???

im hazarding a guess that you're 19-20 if you're going into year 2 of uni.

if you knew you wanted to do something in music when you left... why didn't you do music at uni,

also playing in an orchestra with no university music qualification isn't going to happen, world class performers in orchestras, musical ability will be a million times yours. (i only wish i could be half as good as the people i see in orchestras.)

product design means you could be in the music business, work in a label as a artwork guy. you get to hear albums before anyone else.
i'm Ginger its fun
Haha. Way to kill the dreams.

Well, I'll get grade 8 guitar and piano. And theory....
And then see what happens!

If not. I'll busk for the rest of my life.

Solved.
Quote by Lum

Solved.

I don't think busking a good way to make money on a monthly basis.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
You know how the cliche about a failed musician is that they go out into the world all optimistic, then have their dreams crushed and become a pessimistic wreck working a low-end job? This kind of stuff causes it. Go and study so you're not going to be stuck in a tough spot if you don't succeed; music is a very hard business to get a living in, throwing everything into it is just plain dangerous.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I'm somewhat in the same situation as you. Though I'm studying something that I really, really love, my primary goal is to become a musician.

here's something I've learned:

There are three different ways people could respond when you tell them about your dreams:
1: they'll laugh and say you're never gonna make it (never ever talk to them again)
2: they'll start explaining how difficult it is to achieve that and how small the changes are (it's best to ignore those too)
3: they'll think it's great that you have such a dream and they'll fully support you (now we're talking!)

the last group is by far the smallest, but they are the people you need.

then there is the second rule: You can be everything you want, but only if you really, really want it and are prepared to do everything for it (not litteraly, but you get what I mean).

don't listen to all the whiners here who aren't going to pursue their dreams because they're afraid of failing, just go for it!
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Last edited by the bartender at Jul 25, 2010,
Quote by Lum

Solved.

Or you can... get a real job
Quote by the bartender
don't listen to all the whiners here who aren't going to pursue their dreams because they're afraid of failing, just go for it!

Hey, that's a bit uncalled for. I'm planning to give life as a musician a try once I finish college, and I'm fully aware of the low likelihood of it working out(As Michael J. Fox put it though, you only get one shot to start out with nothing to lose, and if you fail as a young guy, you can always go back to mom and dad without shame when you fall on your ass). What I'm trying to say to the TS is that putting all your eggs in one basket is a bad idea.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 25, 2010,
carry on with your dergree but dont give up on your musical dreams

find a way to tie them together
now extra flamey
Well, I'd say, just push for your dreams. Don't bother listening to those who are cynical about these sort of ambitions. It's best to always try and do what you love, I think - despite my inexperience in the real world - and don't lose it for hope of safety.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I'm glad that most people think it's impossible to make it in music. Makes one less guy i need to compete with.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
I don't even know what I think about careers. I'm not really planning on anything. I'll just take whatever opportunity I get, and see where that takes me.

I'm doing an engineering course at the moment. I guess it would be nice to write good music that people appreciate, but I've never even been in a band and I've never written any of my own songs.
Engineering is nice, I wouldn't say I'm passionate about it, but I guess any job becomes a drag when you have to do it every day. I think if I somehow became a professional musician, I'd get tired of touring, and of my own songs, pretty quickly.

Also, I think "the world" needs an engineer more than it needs a musician at the moment. A bit of a controversial statement, but it might just be true.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Everyone has dreams, but realistically they won't come true at all.

Only for people that really believe that.
I'm the other end of the scale i do music for fun and if it gets me anywhere it's a bonus.
If you really want to explore careers in music then do so, but not at the expense of throwing out other options. Becoming an established musician is as much about la lot more than talent, some of those things you can't really control. By all means, pursue your dreams, but don't quit college for busking. It won't turn out well.

But if you hate product design, then shop around for other interesting degrees that you could use in the music industry, but would also be beneficial elsewhere. No point in getting a degree in something you hate.
If you can get some amatuer recording gear together and make some songs to put up for download on the net and start doing small local gigs, then you can begin climbing in music whilst still working on getting a degree. Probably what i'd have done if I hadn't gone on a mad ego trip and gotten myself kicked out of college.
Quote by the bartender

whereas I'm pursuing my dream of becoming a musician by 2 ways

1. studying it at university... thus enabling me to have a lot more contacts in the industry straight out of the education system than those who don't yet want to enter the industry

2. already work as a session musician. and let me tell you, getting people to take you seriously when you're 20 years old as a session musician is hard work. its made me grow up immensly over the last few years i've been doing it

saying you are going to make it because its your dream is like me saying... im going to win the lottery because i am Sparky... its just not going to happen that way

you just gotta work for it. by not choosing to study music. one major door is already closed to you.

now you have to find that rather small mouse hole to squeeze your ass through
i'm Ginger its fun
Uni Course sounds a lot like unicorn.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Quote by Lum

Solved.

Wow dream big man.
--------
Why not do it and be a music teacher at a college. It's decently payed, secure and you get a chance to teach people who are as inspired and as passionate about the thing you love too.

Do your course then a post graduate teaching course.
I think you should keep studying and working to get a good job, but concentrate on music in your spare time. Then if you start having some success with music, drop your other things and do it full time.

I only think you shouldn't go all out with music because there are plenty of really good musicians who have to work crap day-jobs. There is at least some luck involved being a musician who makes enough from music to live comfortably.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
I'm going to uni this upcoming year with an intended major of music. Aspiring to be a famous guitarist in a famous band is farfetched, but luckily there are more realistic paths, like a music teacher, performance major, or perhaps even a degree in composition.
SAVE THE JAZZ

"Remember, there are two kinds of people in the world:
People who finish things, and"
This sounds completely stupid and cliche but hear me out.

You have to do what you enjoy. If you don't at least try, you'll never have the chance. I think you should spend most of your time studying music theory and getting good enough to teach guitar reasonably well, but only if you want to.

There is a guy that lives in my town that teaches guitar. He is widely respected by all of the musicians around here and he completely funds all of his bills through it. He charges $10/half-hour, works (if you can call it that) around 8 - 10 hours a day, 5 - 6 days a week and rarely has openings in his schedule. It's the ultimate fallback plan for someone who wants music to be a part of their life.

Just make sure you're doing things because you want to do them.
Quote by Lum

Solved.

Yea you know the air conditioning, electricity, running water, sattellite/cable, internet, food, transportation your parents/your student loans/you pay for right now?

Yea, you won't afford a single one of those things busking.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Jul 25, 2010,
Face it man, the majority of ppl that make it in the business are few and far between. Now I'm not saying you suck (I haven't heard anything) but some ppl get lucky others don't and it's always a great plan to have something to fall back on (in this case your degree)

Besides who knows man that degree and training may take you places that allow you to play your music ya know???
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.