hey folks

small confussion here. the have a weird kind of buzz on a few notes on my jackson. its only on the high e string between frets 11 and 17. but i can only here in on a high gin, not low gain, clean or acousticly. the buzz is strange because it sounds more grainy than buzzy.
the bass player in my band suggests it could be the truss rod, the buzz has been there about a month. i havnt made any changed to action, floyd etc in that time.
you might have to adjust the the trem. It might also be your amp if you can only hear it on a high gain
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
check the frets for any dents or little odd bumps, cuz one of my guitars somehow got one, i had to smooth it out
so you dont agree that its the truss rod? from the description atleast. the guitars about 7 months old and straight from the factory.

its definetly not like the fret buzz the cheap guitar at my old school had
Last edited by jkielq91 at Jul 25, 2010,
Maybe you should bring it in for a set up. Sounds like it could be a truss rod problem, but at the same time it sounds like it could be something with the frets.
Quote by jkielq91
so you dont agree that its the truss rod? from the description atleast. the guitars about 7 months old and straight from the factory.

its definetly not like the fret buzz the cheap guitar at my old school had

Factories put out some properly shite stuff nowadays mate. Could just be badly set up. Try raising the bridge a little, see if it goes away. If not, it'll be your amp.

On a personal note, 'Make metal British again', with a Metallica avatar?
Quote by jkielq91
but i can only here in on a high gin, not low gain, clean or acousticly.

If it doesn't exist when playing acoustically then it isn't anything mechanical such as fret buzz or a slightly loose screw rattling. If it were mechanical then you would really notice it when playing acoustically. This isn't something that touching the truss will have any affect on. Does it make the buzz through all pickups and pickup settings? Trying seeing if adusting either the volume or tone pots have any affect on it.
Quote by UraniYum

On a personal note, 'Make metal British again', with a Metallica avatar?

i never thought of that before

and i actually have a true horror story about crap guitar factories. my original jackson arrived with these really massive cracks in the headstock so i took it back to the shop and he said he thinks they must have dropped it in the factory, but new machine heads on and hoped no one would notice. but customer services were very good and sent me this guitar right from the factory.

btw i have had the guitar since december and the grainy buzz started about a month ago, so i wouldnt say this is a factory thing. this guitars been perfect up till now and still plays amazingly.
you don't seem to understand.

when someone says that some random buzz is do the the "truss rod". a lot of times it's because the truss rod is a mystery to them, and therefore must be the issue.

if you are getting buzz on one string at one fret, then the culprit is a high or crooked fret,
a dent in a string or action that is too low.

now, you're saying that this buzz is only present wt high gain so it's very possible that it's not mechanical buzz (like a string rubbing a fret) but instead an electrical buzz, like said.

also, just because you haven't adjusted anything, it doesn't mean your setting haven't changed a little.
if you play your guitar, if there are temp changes, or if the earth is rotating that day, the guitar setting may have changed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 25, 2010,
Quote by jkielq91
it was my bands bassist who guessed it was the truss rod

and i dont quite get how a mechanical buzz would only go on those 7 frets on one string, its not even the seven highest

no it's very possible. and that it's slight, only noticed with highest of gain.

check the string. check the frets, and you know, you can always measure the relief, see if a little extra relief would help.

fret the Low E, first fret, at the same time,
fret the Low E, last fret, (around the 19th) where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets 7-9th.

see if the string sits on the fret wire there,
or if it's a medium pick's thickness up from the wire there... or even more.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011