I want to connect my guitar to my computer and use it with Guitar Rig 4, I'm assuming I would need to connect it from the guitar to the USB port. Does anyone know what that cable is called and where to purchase one?
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
you need a usb interface, google it
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Yeah Ibanez and Gibson design all their models on their iPods.

Pokémon CYOA
Click here for my electro tunes!

Proud user and abuser of Bugera
You need an USB interface. Something like this.

EDIT: damn, i was beaten to it!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jul 25, 2010,
Alright, thanks guys
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
you and also get a cable adapter that makes it fit into like a headphone slot, you can get it at guitar center for like $3
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
I also want to do that while i can't afford an amp, may not be the best the best option bu it's only temporary

I wanted to know if with just the adapter to connect the guitar to the imput jack (probably I'll need to mess a little with the sound options) and use Guitar Rig 4 will the speakers act as an amp?

Or do I need to do anything else?

I just want to use it to play, not for recording or anything like that

Thanks
Quote by 100%
you and also get a cable adapter that makes it fit into like a headphone slot, you can get it at guitar center for like $3

$3 plus the cost of a new sound card after you eventually blow yours.

but yeah, its only $3 right now!

or for $70-100 you can get an interface that opens up more options for you, will sound better, and is actually made for this purpose.
this interface even comes with pod farm, so then you dont have to go buy guitar rig. which is $200 anway, so you actually end up saving money.
Quote by Xanron
I want to connect my guitar to my computer and use it with Guitar Rig 4, I'm assuming I would need to connect it from the guitar to the USB port. Does anyone know what that cable is called and where to purchase one?

Get a Line 6 toneport,i have it and it works great.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by chip46
It's a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, but it would go into the input jack on the computer, which is usually labeled with a little microphone. The headphone jack would be an audio out.

Good luck with the quality and latency...

An audio interface, although a bit expensive to start out with, is the best way to go when recording. Line6 makes some good interfaces that also offer modeling software to start you out on. I think they start around $60 or so. The UX1 offers a mic port too which is nice to have if you ever want to mic and amp or do vocals in the future. But if you feel you'll never need that, try the GX interface.