Short-and-sweet: Until recently I've been listening to stuff with a lot more shreddy guitar, as well as a big helping of Jazz-fusion, and I've noticed my lead playing is starting to become muddled and, while I'm fairly certain a lot of the players from the aforementioned genres don't think in this manner, my mindset is actually going from how I can put the most into this into how I can put in a show of skill to blow people away.

I want to get away from this kind of mentality and back to the stuff that made me expand my playing past one open chord after another, namely the blues. Any recommendations on stripping things down just to pure soul and making the instrument sing instead of buzz?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
yeah BB for sure. Maybe some clapton. Check out some Robert Johnson, T-bone walker, and muddy waters
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Quote by necrosis1193
Short-and-sweet: Until recently I've been listening to stuff with a lot more shreddy guitar, as well as a big helping of Jazz-fusion, and I've noticed my lead playing is starting to become muddled and, while I'm fairly certain a lot of the players from the aforementioned genres don't think in this manner, my mindset is actually going from how I can put the most into this into how I can put in a show of skill to blow people away.

I want to get away from this kind of mentality and back to the stuff that made me expand my playing past one open chord after another, namely the blues. Any recommendations on stripping things down just to pure soul and making the instrument sing instead of buzz?

speed and complexity dont= no soul though so i dont really see what you are getting at. you cant strip anything down to just "pure soul". you either play with feeling or you dont. it has nothing to do with WHAT you are playing, but HOW you play it.

if you really feel like you are playing for show and not feel, just try to forget about that. play what suits the song and what you hear in your head. sometimes ill blaze up and down the neck. sometimes ill play as little as possible. to me, its all about what suits the song and what im feeling. sometimes i feel like making the guitar scream, and sometimes i want to whisper. sometimes i want to shred, and sometimes i want to sing. sometimes songs i find dont need a solo. but none have more or less soul than the other.

just go out and play from the heart. dont worry about impressing people.
You've been around a while. You know all the good blues guys. You've even figured out what's wrong with your mentality. Now just pick up the guitar and fix it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
BB King and Stevie Ray Vaughan, Early ZZ Top... And Early Allman Brothers, all the albums up to Eat a Peach...and some gov't mule dont forget Buddy Guy and Clapton.
Listen to "Tin Pan Alley," by Stevie Ray Vaughan. In my opinion, that song has everything that a perfect blues song needs. It's got some epic soul goin' on, perfect use of dynamics, SRV's utter blues genius.... The phrasing is incredible.

As for using it to your own advantage, well, I just think it's a great feeling to try and attain. Helps to close your eyes while you're playing, too. It stops you from watching your fingers do cool stuff and helps you visualize exactly what YOU want to play, and thusly, you'll play everything a little differently, with slight alterations to timing, dynamic, method, and ultimately feeling. Every once in a while, an awesome new lick will come out of it, too.

As for general listening recommendations, I agree with everybody above, but I'd like to throw Albert King into the mix.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
It was said above but i will expand. I saw B.B. King live and he blew me away. His timing and phrasing is incredible. He really didn't play anything that complex or fast but made it all sound amazing.
Stop listening to music and stop playing guitar, then start again in a couple weeks. Sounds like you need to re-energize.
ive never really seen them mentioned in the b&J forum, but ill metion them

listen to the blues brothers, and listen to Sam and Dave.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by necrosis1193

Listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygoQ3dGGPTM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOW1Y2H2VwE
Realize things can be technically impressive, yet still soulful.