I hope this is the right place to post, if not, correct me. Would be appreciated.
Anyway, nearly three weeks ago, I bought my first electric guitar. It came in a pack with an amp, wire, tremolo, three picks, a tuner, and a strap. So, I don't know much about which amp is the best/worst or whatever, but I kind of think, that my amp( maybe my guitar, dunno. This is my guitar) is seriously crappy, and I thought about getting a new one. Seriously, my BOSS DS-1 cost me more than the amp itself, if I would've bought it separately. So, UG, any suggestions on a good enough, yet rather cheap amp for rock/metal? I CAN spend up to 200 $, but I'd prefer not to. Yes, I am noob.

Edit : Also, my amp is about 10 x 10 inches in size.
Doubleedit : While you're at it, could you also naming me an average price for headphones, which to plug in the amp?
Last edited by Maglun at Jul 25, 2010,
Save up a bit so you can get some quality gear instead, you'll regret buying lots of crap gear.
Soo...How much should I save up? Also, should I save up just for the amp or should I save up for both the amp AND guitar?
Quote by Maglun
Soo...How much should I save up? Also, should I save up just for the amp or should I save up for both the amp AND guitar?

save up around $600, the amp should be worth it. shit guitar with good amp > shit amp good guitar
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
The amp is far more important, but you're going to want to upgrade both sooner or later.

Anyway, isn't it a bit soon to already want a new guitar and amp? I know about GAS, but damn. You just got your first stuff 3 weeks ago.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yes, I understand, what you mean. But saving up money can be a pain for me, so I'd rather ask now while I still have money, rather than spend it now on worthless bullshit, and then double the pain of saving money. As a teenager, I get barely any allowance. |:
$200 will only get you so far. How far are you wanting to go?

Do you play by yourself or with other people?

What styles do you play?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I can try saving up another 100$ up to 300$

I mostly play by myself, but I'd like to get in a band eventually.

I prefer rock, hard rock, metal. Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, that kind of stuff.
Bump. So, can you people at UG at least suggest me a brand? A brand, that makes/has good amps, but without ridiculous prices.
Last edited by Maglun at Jul 25, 2010,
Thanks. Also, any idea how much would the headphones would cost?
the Vypyr 30 is a good amp, and only costs $200. It'd probably be really good for you at this point in your playing.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Id say but a Line 6 Spider 3. I dont think they cost much and have like 100 built in presets so you can have tons of effects and stuff. They also have a built in tuner. They are a great starter amp.
^The Vypyr has way more tonal variety and options/effects, and it doesn't sound like complete ass. And it also has a tuner. No competition.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Look at the Fender G-Dec 3. Now before you hard core guitarists flame it, listen. Since you are a beginner this is a fantastic amp. My wife got me one for my B-Day and I love it. You can litteraly make almost any tone you want with this amp because of the presets and Fuse software that comes with it. Not to mention all the backing tracks you get preloaded into it in all kinds of genras. You can run your own tracks through a SD card or hook up your mp3 player to the back. Oh yea, you can also record yourself through it too. The 15 watt model is $300.00. Yea, that's alot for a 15 watt amp. But this is a practice tool you'll have alot of fun with.
^Sounds awesome. Anyway, I'll be checkin' out three local music stores, and take a look, if they have any of the mentioned.
If you're not playing with anybody and are still just practicing, an amp isn't as important as a decent guitar. Sometimes the starter pack guitars are absolutely horrible to play and you quickly outgrow them. I'd save up and buy a used guitar for $300 which will get a "working quality" guitar (or $500 new). This can be kept for quite along time and when you do go to buy an amp you can use this guitar to test drive it. It's much easier to match an amp to a guitar than the other way around.
Moving on.....
i just got a vox vt30 and i love it. I mostly play rock, indie, bluesy stuff.
Check out the Peavey Vypyrs and Roland Cubes. Avoid Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MG's.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
a vypyr would be a huge upgrade. decent headphones cost around $50 usually, but the more you can afford the better they get in general. i asked that this be moved to GG&A.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 26, 2010,
For amps, check out:

Egnater Tweaker
Jet City amps
Bugera amps
Vox Night Train

All are great, low-wattage tube amps for under $500. Sadly, you're not going to get anything worthwhile for what you have right now. But I agree with everyone on here: shit guitar + good amp = good sound. good guitar + shit amp = shit sound. Amp is more important here.

To answer your other question, for a nice pair of headphones you're going to spend easily over $100, possibly over $150.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.