I asked this question earlier, to no replys. But then again, I did post it in the wrong area >.<

Anyways, I'm thinking of getting a Gibson Les Paul copy from TradeTang.com. And I know is a fake, and will sound bad, but I know someone who is selling some EMG Zakk Wylde Pick Ups, so I think I might buy the guitar and change the pick ups so I'm playing through the EMG's.

Does this sound like a good idea at all to anybody?

I just want a few opinions before I make a decision.
Everyone have difrent opinions about any pick-ups.
Just like Gibson 500t pick-up some love it some hate it
Its only depends on you...Go to music shop ask for guitar with pickups you want to buy and try it on the same or similar amp you own.
Remember that the amp have last vote for sound.
have a read here.

Ultimate Fake Guitar Thread

The guitar will play like shit, have awful frets, more than likely have problems that cannot be fixed like not having a truss rod or major fret spacing problems.

oh yeah, and it's a felony.

i mean seriously, tax and shipping and all you'll spend like $400 on a complete pile of total shit, and you will continue to fund con-men. please tell me where that makes sense.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Thanks for the replies
I don't usually wanna buy fake guitars, but I'm only considering it because I heard the PRS Orianthi SE is around £699 and I simply can't afford that.
Plus, my dad bought a fake Gretsch and he was amazed by the look and the sound of it because he said it was just like the original. I played it myself and it sounded great to be quite honest. Although I know not all guitars are like that, I'm still debating whether to take the risk or not...
I bought a cheap Les Paul copy, very well built, frets were level etc. Put Dimarzios in there, replaced the electronics and the nut, adjusted the neck, intonation and action and now it plays great, stays in tune nearly flawlessly, and sounds wonderful. I wouldn't trade it for a Gibson Studio (seriously).
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
I bought a cheap Les Paul copy, very well built, frets were level etc. Put Dimarzios in there, replaced the electronics and the nut, adjusted the neck, intonation and action and now it plays great, stays in tune nearly flawlessly, and sounds wonderful. I wouldn't trade it for a Gibson Studio (seriously).

Nice
Did it cost much more to make those replacements?
Quote by SuperNova1993
Nice
Did it cost much more to make those replacements?

The most pricey upgrade were obviously the pickups, but I was fortunate to get an Evolution used. However, all in all it didn't exceed the original cost of the guitar.

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I think this a horrible idea. You're looking to spend 300-400 bucks on a knock off Gibson. You have no idea what you are getting other than a few pictures. You're looking to throw 100 bucks worth of pickups into the guitar on top of that. 400-500 bucks will get you a damn nice, official guitar these days. And unlike the chinese knock off, you can return those guitars if you dont like them.
Last edited by Jason43 at Jul 25, 2010,
Quote by Jason43
I think this a horrible idea. You're looking to spend 300-400 bucks on a knock off Gibson. You have no idea what you are getting other than a few pictures. You're looking to throw 100 bucks worth of pickups into the guitar on top of that. 400-500 bucks will get you a damn nice, official guitar these days. And unlike the chinese knock off, you can return those guitars if you dont like them.

and resell them without counterfeiting.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Go to Rondo Music and get an Agile AL-3000 with EMGs instead for the same price.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
You folks have a point. But consider that in Europe new gear is substantially more expensive than in the US, so this kind of upgrade is sometimes worth it if you know what you're doing. I can, for instance, get a Squier Classic Vibe and mod it into something that'll kick any Fender Mex's ass, for less money. And if it bothers you that it says "Squier" on the headstock, there's ways to change that decal as well, you could have it say "Fender Stratocaster" or "Bullshitocaster", or whatever, all in the same font.

BUT, and this is one big BUT, this kind of modding will nearly kill any resale value of that instrument. People are very reluctant to buy modded guitars, even if they have nice pickups and setups and all that.

Still, you folks should be open-minded and realize that there's potential in the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

You folks have a point. But consider that in Europe new gear is substantially more expensive than in the US, so this kind of upgrade is sometimes worth it if you know what you're doing. I can, for instance, get a Squier Classic Vibe and mod it into something that'll kick any Fender Mex's ass, for less money. And if it bothers you that it says "Squier" on the headstock, there's ways to change that decal as well, you could have it say "Fender Stratocaster" or "Bullshitocaster", or whatever, all in the same font.

BUT, and this is one big BUT, this kind of modding will nearly kill any resale value of that instrument. People are very reluctant to buy modded guitars, even if they have nice pickups and setups and all that.

Still, you folks should be open-minded and realize that there's potential in the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

the reason we're not "open minded" about illegal fake guitars is that they are counterfeits and encourage con men to take money away from honest guitar builders and companies.

sure, if you have something like a burny les paul. its a copy, but its no one trying to say they're gibson. thats fine, and perfectly acceptable.

and i know what you mean about fixing up a cheaper guitar, i bought a jackson dx10d in 2006 i believe for $300, after putting some money into it it kicks just about anythings ass under $1000.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

make sure the fake is well built, action isn't off etc. before buying it, these things aswell as pickups make a difference
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
You will be purchasing a guitar so bad, nothing can improve it. It would be a waste of pickups. Just google "trade tang complaints." The guitar you receive will have no resemblance to the website photos. Bad, bad idea.

You should be able to find a new guitar at GC with EMGs for less than a trade tang (when you factor in shipping).

....just saying...
Ah, shit ... I should read these threads more carefully. Only now did I realize that you folks were talking about "those" illegal Les Paul imitations.

No, no, I don't condone that kind of stuff, and I wasn't referring to something like that. What I meant by "copies" were lesser brands made in the general shape of higher brands. Such as, for instance, Yamaha and their Pacificas. Or Harley Benton guitars, if you're familiar with those. Not those chinese companies that try to trick people. Their CEOs should be set on fire while being forced to play their own (unmodded) guitars through Behringer practice amps.

Ah, shit ... I should read these threads more carefully. Only now did I realize that you folks were talking about "those" illegal Les Paul imitations.

No, no, I don't condone that kind of stuff, and I wasn't referring to something like that. What I meant by "copies" were lesser brands made in the general shape of higher brands. Such as, for instance, Yamaha and their Pacificas. Or Harley Benton guitars, if you're familiar with those. Not those chinese companies that try to trick people. Their CEOs should be set on fire while being forced to play their own (unmodded) guitars through Behringer practice amps.

i figured that was what you meant, and i agree, there are several good copies from companies not claiming to be gibson. Agile, burny, even some ESPs and ibanez i would consider their LP shapes to be copies.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

I wasn't 100% on going through with it anyway, and after reading the replies to this, it's definitely changed my mind on it.
Besides, even if I did go through with it, I probably wouldn't have sold it. I rarely sell my guitars. I'm just planning on a revamp with all my stuff, and I'm still not sure what to get...
Well, when Trade Tang is mentioned by name, one can only assume the worst.

Quote by Jason43
This is irrelevant since he would be buying from a website.

you have a good point there , in this case set it up nicely when you get it and read reviews beforehand to see if other people think it plays nicely.
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
TS, You talk in £s so you are in UK. You'll get far better product from Vintage V100 model (try it in a shop 'cos their QC is bad) at anything from £200 (the Lemon Drop is more but its a cracker).
I think Tim Ellis still has one or two of his 'Debbie' Les Pauls, which are gorgeous, for under £500 and these are full LP Custom spec (double binding, ebony board etc) http://tcellisguitars.com/guitars4sale.html

As far as changing pups, you are talking EMG 81/85? That will lose a good bit of that special LP tone. Also you will need to find space for the bettery and change all the controls to 25k for actives. The Wilkinson pups on the V100 are pretty good and Tim Ellis uses the WIlkinson overwound on his, which are brilliant.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Jul 27, 2010,
Since we're on the subject, I just realized that I get adverts for this Tang thing on the top banner all the time, I've just been ignoring it. TILL NOW!!

Hmm. Gibson '57 Les Paul Goldtop signed by Slash... USD 267.66 ~ 352.3

Wow, what a steal!

Well, I haven't been on here for a few days.
But, I thought I'd just update you all by telling you that I didn't buy the Les Paul knock off after all...
Instead, I've managed to get the PRS SE Orianthi after the long wait!
Sounds and feels absolutely brilliant, so I'm glad that I didn't get that knock off...
Looking back, it looks like a stupid decision that I even thought of buying a knock off now that I've got this
Just bought a Tremonti wah pedal to go with it too
Quote by SuperNova1993
Well, I haven't been on here for a few days.
But, I thought I'd just update you all by telling you that I didn't buy the Les Paul knock off after all...
Instead, I've managed to get the PRS SE Orianthi after the long wait!
Sounds and feels absolutely brilliant, so I'm glad that I didn't get that knock off...
Looking back, it looks like a stupid decision that I even thought of buying a knock off now that I've got this
Just bought a Tremonti wah pedal to go with it too

im happy for you.

you've made the guitar business a slightly better place by not supporting counterfeiters.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.