Ok. So I have played guitar for roughly 10 years and just rescently started picking up bass. I'm looking for
Some help finger picking. Practice techniques or any advice. Like do I use all 4 fingers? Or 2? Or what? And as a more narrowed down question which fingers would I use to pick the notes from the 2nd riff of Master of @uppets?
Quote by thrashinghabit
Ok. So I have played guitar for roughly 10 years and just rescently started picking up bass. I'm looking for
Some help finger picking. Practice techniques or any advice. Like do I use all 4 fingers? Or 2? Or what? And as a more narrowed down question which fingers would I use to pick the notes from the 2nd riff of Master of @uppets?

Start with two, then three to do triplets and finally four if you want to show off.

Depending on what you play, you can get away with only using one finger. I do that when I don't do play anything faster than eighths.

Edit: this is just advice really, it doesn't matter too much. You could just play classical fingerstyle like you would on a six string guitar.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 25, 2010,
You could use all 4 I suppose.

What my teacher tells me:
Rest you thumb on the pickup (the one closer to the neck if you have more than 1 pickup),
keep you hand relaxed, and alternate between your index and middle fingers.
My gear:
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass
Fender Rumble 15
Of course, there's nothing wrong with using a pick if you want
My gear:
Fender Rumble 15
I know there's no problems using a pick. I just like the sound better finger style. And I can do triplets with 3 fingers but I can't pick consistantly whilst switching strings. Like trying to run through a scale quick
Quote by thrashinghabit
I know there's no problems using a pick. I just like the sound better finger style. And I can do triplets with 3 fingers but I can't pick consistantly whilst switching strings. Like trying to run through a scale quick

I have that same problem and I've been playing for 5 years. xD
So I just use a pick because I can play faster. But playing with your fingers and a pick is very helpful because you can get different tones in a split second and there's some neat finger sweeping techniques you can learn too.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Quote by Imikulate
You could use all 4 I suppose.

What my teacher tells me:
Rest you thumb on the pickup (the one closer to the neck if you have more than 1 pickup),
keep you hand relaxed, and alternate between your index and middle fingers.

There is no one spot to keep your thumb anchored. you should feel comfortable playing anywhere along your bass (within reason). some songs call for bridge playing some call for neck playing and some are in-between.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
There is no one spot to keep your thumb anchored. you should feel comfortable playing anywhere along your bass (within reason). some songs call for bridge playing some call for neck playing and some are in-between.

True, but my teacher tells me to play it like that till I get a better sense of the instrument, and all the videos I found on the internet also instruct you to anchor it there.

Sure, play wherever you like, but resting on the first pick-up is a good place to start.
My gear:
Fender Rumble 15
I'm a jazz bassist and what I tend to do is rest my thumb on the string lower then the one I'm playing... So if I'm walking along a C chord my thumb moves from the first string to the second to the third and then back. That way it keeps the strings muted.