Is there any way to put el34 tubes in an amp that uses el84? i know there is an adapter for replacing el34 with el84, is there something to do the opposite? i like the sound of the el34 and want the classic marshall overdrive, but the crate v series uses el84.
Can't be done without a complete rehash of the power section.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^+1

Add to the list:
ZVex Box of Rock
Keeler Designs Shove

Sometimes I think I'm the only person on UG who likes these two, lol.

Also, MI Audio Crunch Box for a cheaper alternative.
^ The black box Guv'nors were ****ing awesome.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
EL34 pulls MASSIVE heater current compared to EL84. you need a new power transformer.

i guess their Ra* is different, so there will be some impedance mismatch i think. you might have to rebias the amp. and you'd want to run EL34s with higher voltage than now, so i don't think you should try this.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
EL84's should give a very good british crunch
I don't see why you'd want to do this
Quote by ECistheBest
EL34 pulls MASSIVE heater current compared to EL84. you need a new power transformer.

i guess their Ra* is different, so there will be some impedance mismatch i think. you might have to rebias the amp. and you'd want to run EL34s with higher voltage than now, so i don't think you should try this.

Pretty much why I said you'd have to rehash most of the power section.

Quote by forsaknazrael
The Crunch Box is nice.

I dunno, the Box of Rock seems really expensive. Sounds like a Marshall Guv'nor to me, haha. Which isn't bad, but just a bit overrated considering the company it "keeps".

Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ The black box Guv'nors were ****ing awesome.

Eh, I only played a recent version and didn't like it at all. BoR sounds completely different to me.
They are expensive though, that's for sure. I came across an online shop that sold copies of them once, they're also on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.de/WEEHBO-Effekte-Rox-of-Bock-/230485148376?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Allgemeines_Musikinstrumente_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item35a9fc42d8#ht_1287wt_1137

Please excuse the kraut-babble. Much cheaper than the original (at least in Europe, I guess in the States the Vexter series is worth a look), but I don't know how good they are.
Eh. 169 euros for a clone of a BoR is pretty insane. If you want one you might as well get your feet wet and build a clone yourself. The circuit is simple beyond belief.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Eh. 169 euros for a clone of a BoR is pretty insane. If you want one you might as well get your feet wet and build a clone yourself. The circuit is simple beyond belief.

Dunno, it's a hand built pedal and all...

The guy who makes the clone also offers the PCB with parts already soldered for twelve bucks or so. I might just order one of those and whatever else is needed and make one myself.

Still don't get why the BoR gets no love around here.