I'm looking into buying a new guitar to replace my modded Epiphone SG (EMG 81/85, Graph Tech bridge/tailpiece/nut). It'll be in drop-c tuning, and I run it through a Peavey 6505+ and an Orange 4x12. I play some prog metal mixed with a little bit of core and some old school metal, so I want something with good reach as well as a fast neck, but not too thin because I'll have .11s or .12s on it. I'm not sure what pups I want, but I want a very cutting, hot pup in the bridge for strong leads, and something real warm but not dull for cleans and chunky rhythm in the neck. I'm very interested in ESP guitars as well. Any recommendations guys?

Thanks,

~FI

Edit: I would also like to have a decent whammy bar on it, if it's a quality set up. Not a necessity though. I don't mind buying used to save cash, I would love to find something around $500 or less, but if I need to spend more to get what I want, I'm willing to do so. I don't have a preference between actives or passives, as long as they get the job done.
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
Last edited by Fatal Instinct at Jul 25, 2010,
Firstly, what's lacking in your current guitar? Sounds like you've got it pretty sweet already
I'm open to either actives or passives, if they meet what I'm looking for. I'm going to look for used, around $500 or so would be great, but I'm willing to save for more if it's what I'm looking for.

I don't like the neck on my current guitar, it's a little uneven and the sustain/intonation isn't quite perfect.

Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 25, 2010,
I'd also go with Schecter. A good thick Les Paul with EMGs would sound amazing as well.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Fatal Instinct

I don't like the neck on my current guitar, it's a little uneven and the sustain/intonation isn't quite perfect.

It sounds like you need to shop around yourself and find something that you do like. Sound is easy to accomplish. Feel, not so much. You might like Schecter or LTD, but we don't know, only you can. So get out there and find out.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I like the ESP Eclipses, but I'm a little concerned about the upper reach on the Les Paul.

With the Schecters you suggested, how is the sustain? They aren't neck through.

Quote by Offworld92
It sounds like you need to shop around yourself and find something that you do like. Sound is easy to accomplish. Feel, not so much. You might like Schecter or LTD, but we don't know, only you can. So get out there and find out.

I plan on it good sir, I just wanted to go in with some recommendations that I could go off of. I want to hear some feedback on what's out there.

Quote by Fatal Instinct
I plan on it good sir, I just wanted to go in with some recommendations that I could go off of. I want to hear some feedback on what's out there.

Well, there's a shitload out there, I can tell you that much. Like I said before, I'd definitely check out Schecter and LTD. It sounds like your Epiphone neck is too big, but you don't want an Ibanez/Jackson neck at the same time. So those brands kind of fall in between.

In any case, try out everything you can afford. You never know if you'll like something til you play it.

And you can drop EMG's in anything. Don't worry about the way it sounds, just concentrate on feel.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Well, there's a shitload out there, I can tell you that much. Like I said before, I'd definitely check out Schecter and LTD. It sounds like your Epiphone neck is too big, but you don't want an Ibanez/Jackson neck at the same time. So those brands kind of fall in between.

In any case, try out everything you can afford. You never know if you'll like something til you play it.

And you can drop EMG's in anything. Don't worry about the way it sounds, just concentrate on feel.

True enough. Have you tried the EMG 60? How does that compare to the 85?

Quote by Fatal Instinct
I like the ESP Eclipses, but I'm a little concerned about the upper reach on the Les Paul.

With the Schecters you suggested, how is the sustain? They aren't neck through.

For Les Paul shape shredder guitars, Schecter is your best bet. They have the 25.5" scale, and the upper fret access is way better than the 401's and 1000's, in my opinion.

The sustain is going to be better on the Schecters than on your Epi, regardless of being neck-thru. The set-thru neck design gives the guitar a neck-thru kind of feel and gives the guitar more sustain. The bolt-on neck Schecters are pretty snug. I've found the Solo bolt-on's (they don't have a bolt-on plate) to sustain a little more than the strat shaped Schecters with bolt-on necks.

EDIT: The EMG 60 is very smooth, mellow and articulate. The 85 is more warm and full. Some people say it sounds a lot like an 81, but I don't really hear the resemblance.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 25, 2010,
If you want to have guitar with a fast neck. I seriously recommend any Ibanez guitar with a Wizard II neck. Serously the fastest and slimmest necks I've ever played.
Quote by Fatal Instinct
True enough. Have you tried the EMG 60? How does that compare to the 85?

It's much more... mellow, for lack of a better word. It's better for clean playing, and imo more bluesy, though that is debatable.

I personally love the 81/60 combo, as I think it's a good balance, and the most versatile out of non coil tapped EMG actives. But it's all personal preference.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
It's much more... mellow, for lack of a better word. It's better for clean playing, and imo more bluesy, though that is debatable.

I personally love the 81/60 combo, as I think it's a good balance, and the most versatile out of non coil tapped EMG actives. But it's all personal preference.

Yeah basically everything in this post is true beyond possible belief... which is very metal.
I like the sound of the 81/60 combo. What about the coil tap EMGs? It seems to me like that would give me a more complete tone arsenal, unless they sacrifice some power in some areas in order to be more versatile?

I've played an 81TW/89 combo, and it was nice. I'm just waiting until they coil tap the 60, because currently only the 81(81TW) and 85(89) have coil tapped versions.

But if you like single coil esque sounds, that's by no means a bad combo.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I like the 81TW/89 combo. It's really nice, especially because when you coil tap it , you don't lose all kinds of output from the humbucking mode.

If you wanted to go the passive route, the JB/'59, JB/Jazz and Custom/'59 are great combos and are coil-tapable. Some Schecters slightly out of your price range have these, and are coil-tapable, I believe.
I wouldn't use the single coil side very often, but I would enjoy having it around as long as it didn't detract from the humbucking side of things.

Alright, first off, you're straight up not getting an ESP Eclipse for under 500 bucks. That being said, the LTD EC series is a wonderful and affordable option. They have that iconic Les Paul shape, but they're much different. The necks are wayyy thinner and more playable than your standard Les Paul. So I would check out this or something:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-EC-401-Electric-Guitar-580199-i1435799.gc

I'm pretty sure if you got that used, it would be around $500
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
I went to GC and played around, and I really liked the Schecter Synyster Gates Custom, but I would rather not buy a signature guitar like that...are there any other Schecters that are very similar to that? I also liked a PRS SE guitar, it played quite well. They didn't have any Eclipses or ESP Les Paul copies in stock. I didn't like the Ibanez, the neck felt too light, almost plastic to me. I also played a Schecter Les Paul copy and it was decent, I'd have to go back and play it a few times more to decide. Any more suggestions?

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (boy we sure do love our schecters on here, we should be getting paid for all this free marketing we do for them)

not sure on the price of these but
ESP Horizons too?
Quote by Fatal Instinct
I went to GC and played around, and I really liked the Schecter Synyster Gates Custom, but I would rather not buy a signature guitar like that...are there any other Schecters that are very similar to that? I also liked a PRS SE guitar, it played quite well. They didn't have any Eclipses or ESP Les Paul copies in stock. I didn't like the Ibanez, the neck felt too light, almost plastic to me. I also played a Schecter Les Paul copy and it was decent, I'd have to go back and play it a few times more to decide. Any more suggestions?

The Synyster Gates Custom is based off of the Schecter Avenger. The only one you can still get through MF is the Hellraiser, and it has EMG's 81TW/89.
Even though it seems like everyone's jumped ship to the ESP/LTD range of guitars, for good heavy drop C metal, you can't overlook a Jackson. I've got a DKMG, and it kicks ass, seriously well. Not that I'm saying that ESP/LTD are bad, but from what I've experienced Jackson's are better made, especially the vintage ones from before the Fender buyout.
"...You in the jungle baby...you gunna die"

Mar Geayuh -

*Jackson DKMG, (Floyd Rose)
*Zakk Wylde Cry Baby
*Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
*Boss DD-3
*Fender Amp