hey everyone, i have a totalled strat neck (some idiot painted the entire thing black) and i was looking at trying to make use of the truss rod atleast.

mine is a maple 1-piece with a skunk stripe.

all i need to do to remove the rod is simple unscrew it as far as i can, pull it out, and then dig out the nut at the neck pocket, right?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
hey everyone, i have a totalled strat neck (some idiot painted the entire thing black) and i was looking at trying to make use of the truss rod atleast.

mine is a maple 1-piece with a skunk stripe.

all i need to do to remove the rod is simple unscrew it as far as i can, pull it out, and then dig out the nut at the neck pocket, right?

Painting it black has totalled it?

Just sand it off or use some pain stripper dude.

You can't "pull" a truss rod out mate.

Strip the neck and clean it up.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by conor1148

Wrong!!!

You have to take the fretboard off to get the rod out.
it was "totalled" because it was warped, missing a few frets (someone tried to do a refret) and the nail on the coffin was the super thick black finish.

it would take way more work than it was worth to try to salvage that squire neck. i just cut the nut out of the heel and threaded it out, i have a walnut neck blank ill probably use it in tomorrow.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
truss rods are so cheap, i don't see why you would want to salvage it. some truss rod types are glued in as well so if yours is like that, then yeah, no point trying to salvage it. Why not just buy a fresh truss rod? and since it's a squire the parts on that are gonna be pretty average, not terrible, quality.
A squire is gonna have a pretty cheap truss rod in it not really worth salvaging considering a new basic rod made with higher quality materials is all of 10$ and the even better 2 way rod is 16$.