Does anyone here play their instrument with any handicap or disability?

Page 1 of 3
I know the majority of UG is pretty much able-bodied, but there must be some musicians here who play with a significant handicap or some disability which makes playing harder.

I suffer from a congenital problem which makes my ligaments very loose. This means I always suffered from poor handwriting and hand-eye co-ordination, to the point that my doctor thought I had dyspraxia. It also made learning most of my instruments difficult as the ligaments became easily tired and also often overstretched, giving me poor fretting speed and control.

Anyone else?
I have a handicap of 4.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
ive seen a girl playing bass on youtube .......... with some problems simmiliar to yours but she nailed the song
Gear:
-Squier Bullet Strat

DUNLOP CRY BABY

-Peavey ValveKing 212
i have this thing where my left hand like locks in a fist sometimes, and i cant open it. not been diagnosed with anything though, and i've not actually been to a doctor. all my friends treat it as a joke

EDIT: im lucky its not my fap hand though.
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
Last edited by --ESTRANGED-- at Jul 25, 2010,
Quote by --ESTRANGED--
i have this thing where my left hand like locks in a fist sometimes, and i cant open it. not been diagnosed with anything though, and i've not actually been to a doctor. all my friends treat it as a joke

Might want to get that seen to...it could be a nerve issue.
I know there has to be a woman around here somewhere...

Edit: OT: I'm dyslexic
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Last edited by diofan88 at Jul 25, 2010,
I'm danish.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
I have dyspraxia, i struggle holding a pen and have been told i hold my pick in a very strange manner, i hold it angled towards my left shoulder with my thumb, index and middle finger. Something to do with my thumb
Current Gear...

Fender Mexican Stratocaster

Les Paul Copy w/ Seymour Duncan 59 an JB in bridge and neck respectively (She's a beauty!)

Marshall JCM2000 DSL

Jim dunlop crybaby

Electroharmonix Double Muff
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm certain there was a blind guitarist on here some time ago...

Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I'm a retard.

(drool...)
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Bad eyesight - Doesn't make a difference to my guitar playing abilities, I suck anyway.
However it just makes me play the guitar a bit higher up like Tom Morello but I'm really lanky that this hurts my wrists/joints/elbow so I don't play standing up.
YNWA
Quote by leg end

I could be wrong, but I remember there WAS a user who only had some 20% vision or something, and he even had 'UG's blind guitarist' as a user title.
Let's not forget your downs.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I could be wrong, but I remember there WAS a user who only had some 20% vision or something, and he even had 'UG's blind guitarist' as a user title.

Ah I didn't think of that... I assumed you meant completely blind haha. I thought "I highly doubt it"
Quote by leg end
Ah I didn't think of that... I assumed you meant completely blind haha. I thought "I highly doubt it"

I have a feeling he got banned, or simply stopped coming on here for some reason or another.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm certain there was a blind guitarist on here some time ago...

You really should have specified the 20% eyesight thing...otherwise, this post just makes it sound like a blind guy navigated his way onto UG, posted a thread, and told everyone about his disability...all while not being able to see
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
nope. the only person I can think of is the bassist from the Angry Amputees, who's a quadriplegic. he caught a landmine in Da Nang. plays with nubs.

edit: oh, yeah, I had surgery on my right hand a couple of years ago. bitch still hurts.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Jul 25, 2010,
Im the offspring of a woman with no spleen who , i'm sure, has scarred me for life a few time already
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I have a feeling he got banned, or simply stopped coming on here for some reason or another.

No more internet braille?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
I have low motivation and patience.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
This thread just made me think about Jeff Healey. For those of you who don't know who he is, take a quick look at these 2 links.
Great guitarist and vocalist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Healey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzY4l3_xmBA

This video is him playing with SRV! - altho the quality is not that great. --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqU9RZqvFKY&feature=related
Quote by --ESTRANGED--

i might have that too. does it only happen when you clench it really hard first?
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Quote by guylee
I'm against being handicapped for moral and political reasons.

I'm a postmodern paraplegic; I walk ironically.

OT: Something's wrong with my wrist and I'm currently waiting to have nerve conductivity tests, but it doesn't really affect my playing just how long I can play and if I do play too much my wrist can be quite tender for a day or two.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Bet he didn't read the rules and posted the pear. Poor kid didn't see it coming...
Page 1 of 3