Would i have any problems in laminating a piece of difused acrylic into the fretboard.
I was thinking about building a vu meter into the neck.
Maybe even 2, one picking up high frequencies and one the low.
wait, do you mean inlaying it or an entire acrylic fretboard?
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
As in laminating a fretboard together to contain a slice of acrylic.
This would allow a vu meter to shine through the fretboard.
I have seen guitars with entirely acrylic fretboard, so i assume its doable.
Not sure how stable it would be though.
ok, laminate as in

wood
acrylic
wood

Yeah, I assume that would be perfectly doable, you'd probably be sacrificing a fair bit of the guitars tone though, as it wouldn't transfer vibrations as well as solid wood.

and may I ask why you want a VU meter embedded in your guitar? I assume to measure volume units, but couldn't you do something more practical like a tuner?
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
ooh, good idea, a dual purpose.
Its not something i could think of a need for, just thought it would look good.
I like optoelectronics a little too much.

Im also working on an led touch panel, like in this table,
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/LedDiningTableStory
but smaller and with a faster response.
Ive got the circuit right i think, just need to work out the feasibility cos its quite power hungry.
It'd either be amazing or horribly tacky
That sounds like it'll be awesome! You'd better be planning on making a thread about it when you start working on it.
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Quote by velocigecko

Yeah, I assume that would be perfectly doable, you'd probably be sacrificing a fair bit of the guitars tone though, as it wouldn't transfer vibrations as well as solid wood.

Doubt you'd lose any ''tone'' my friend. You might lose it in your head, but not in sound.

Only real issue I could really see, is some expansion issues. But that's why you don't put your guitar in a freezer then drive through the desert with it in your trunk.

You'd probably need some epoxy to glue them together, I couldn't see wood glue working to well.
Quote by ohspyro89
Doubt you'd lose any ''tone'' my friend. You might lose it in your head, but not in sound.

I reserve the right to be extremely anal about tone and then use so much distortion it doesn't matter anyway.
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.