Hey UG-Users!
I noticed some time ago that Marshall have "updated" their MG-Series. The old ones had a normal on/off-switch and the new MGs have a new switch that you must press and no seperate FFD-electronics.

Old Marshall?

New?

Or are these two different models??

Cheers.
oh lol
ich forgot the most important question:
So what is the difference between these two MGs? Sound, Quality, etc.
Quote by King-For-A-Day
ok, and how does these modifications influence the sound? Are there any improvements?

no, once an mg always an mg
I think there is a big improvement on the sound but unfortunately it seems people can't look past the marshall logo these days without having visions of a big MG logo flashing in front of them like a strobe light. no matter how different, and how much better, it may be, the consensus is "it's still an MG", therefore, that automatically means it sucks - because it has the same name. Such a stigma for 2 insignificant letters, for crying out loud

The tone and the build quality seem to be marginally improved on the new models though i do still think they are overpriced - and you still won't get a "classic" marshall tone out of them. While the old ones where utterly horrendous, i think the new ones are "decent" at best, though they do have a very manufactured, processed sound which i don't care for much. Not brilliant, but as far as a practice amp goes, they do the job

edit: ^brilliant, someone proves the point i made in my first paragraph while i'm writing it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by Blompcube

edit: ^brilliant, someone proves the point i made in my first paragraph while i'm writing it.

hahahahaha

welcome to UG
I wasn't bowled over by the old MG 100w I played, There would have to be a big improvement over that for me to take notice.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Pretty sure those run on all EL84's now.

Im getting one.

Im also trolling.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Still sound like shit
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
I can see this being the haven for people to rip the P*** out of the Marshall MG line.

But seriously, what's so bad about them. I've never played through one.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Dude its a marshall! that means it has to have that awesome marshall sound right? i should just buy the MG halfstack because its a halfstack and that means its brutal. Screw my Egnater.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
The older Mg's that were 30 watts and lower didnt have a mid range knob for the clean channel, the newer one's now share the EQ.

But yeah, the newer mg's are "slightly" better than the older models. The older models tone would crackle with high gain if you would crank it past 3.

Good thing I got rid of my Mg30dfx. It killed my tone.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
To who ever commented its a Marshall it should sound like one.....I have owned a Lead 12 micro stack for so long I have forgotten when I bought the thing and it sounds as close to a "Marshall" such as a JCM800 as a wet fart.
Rule of life number 202, Buy the amp not the name on the amp.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
To who ever commented its a Marshall it should sound like one.....I have owned a Lead 12 micro stack for so long I have forgotten when I bought the thing and it sounds as close to a "Marshall" such as a JCM800 as a wet fart.
Rule of life number 202, Buy the amp not the name on the amp.

I like my lead 12 - i run the direct output into the FX return of my laney VC30 and it sounds excellent, it smooths out the 'flatulent' overtones you can get from the distortion - works well as a "poor man's JCM800" setup for me anyway...

Does sound a bit like a wet fart on certain settings when it's just used on its own though.. but it's not that hard to dial out
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Well as I read here your different opinions, I realize that I'll better try out such a Marshall on my own.
And: The newer ones are a bit better than the older models...

so, has anyone more to tell?
seriously. what else do you need to know.

go try them. and get one if you want one. it's a practice amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
seriously. what else do you need to know.

go try them. and get one if you want one. it's a practice amp.

Oh your last words are very important. A practice amp? Well I'm searching an amp for the stage... don't you thing the big brothers of the MG30 aren't good enough to kick as live?
Quote by King-For-A-Day
Oh your last words are very important. A practice amp? Well I'm searching an amp for the stage... don't you thing the big brothers of the MG30 aren't good enough to kick as live?

No...Everyone has been saying they suck

If you need an amp for gigging give us a budget and they kind of music you play and we can make recommendations from there.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by King-For-A-Day

stop trolling.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by obeythepenguin

By the way, to anyone who thinks I'm a raving lunatic for not jumping on the anti-MG bandwagon, .

i think you're a raving lunatic for feeding an obvious troll, who's bumping his old thread,
in an attempt to get guys upset over a 15w practice amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok I see the discussion and even my last question have been a bit off-topic if I remember my first question about the difference between the old and new Marshall MGs So you gave me some usefull hints. And thank you so far...
Quote by King-For-A-Day

no.

I've had to gig with a MG100DFX on a few occasions, through not being able to lug my own amp(s) to particular gigs. With some careful EQing i did get it to "do the job" but it didn't exactly sound nice. It was "passable" at best.

But the whole issue with the large MGs is that they are overpriced and don't sound any different to the MG10CD you pay about £40 for. So you're getting £40 worth of tone from an amp which will cost you 10x that - simply because it's bigger and has more volume, and more controls which actually reduce the tonal quality. Once you're paying that much, you can easily get your hands on a very nice tube amp which will do an infinitely better job than any similarly priced solid state.

The new MGs aren't as bad as the old ones, but they're still not worth buying. They're a completely dead average solid state practise amp that is overpriced thanks to the Marshall styling and name.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Jackamedmos
Vypyr > Micro Cube > Spider > MG

It's a matter of opinion - they are all mediocre entry level amps at the end of the day.

Quote by Blompcube
It's a matter of opinion - they are all mediocre entry level amps at the end of the day.

where does orange beginner amp,whatever its name is,rank?
Quote by archenemyfan
where does orange beginner amp,whatever its name is,rank?

you mean the orange crush? dunno.. i get the feeling you meant to quote the post above mine.. because i was gonna say "what about the vox valvetronix"

it's not really about where an amp "ranks" though. As soon as you put ranks on particular pieces of gear, that's when people start arguing lol.